Two issues - Cannot save Printer share with error code 0x000006d9 and Machine share is not accessable from workgroup network

I am thinking these are connected problems, but here are the separate issues, first - the fundamentals:

4 PC network using workgoup with two Windows 7 (ultimate) and two xp.  All worked well with the previous one vista/ 3 xp network.  All but the Windows 7 desktop behave well. The network is wired with a cable modem to a netscreen NS 5XT (hardware firewall to the outside and hub for inside), a netgear wireless access point and using (as said before) Windows workgroup.  All naming remains correct on all machines, all discovery settings are in place and each has Norton Internet security for its local protection services. The Win 7 upgrades were to the wirelessly connected vista laptop and a hard wired desktop previously running XP Professional sp3.  Conversion of XP was assisted on the desktop by Laplink PC Mover upgrade assistant.  All applications run seemingly well on both upgraded machines.

On the desktop - I cannot share printers. When I use 'networks and printers' from the start menu to set sharing on a printer I get the error code 0x000006d9 stating something like the configuration can't be saved.  All local printing works well.

Also on the desktop - the computer name registers to all as on the network (it is discovered and mapped by each PC) but when I try to access from any other machine i get a general error message that states something like 'check your name spelling dummy'. This Win 7 desktop can browse the shared folders of all on the network  and write to any.  A little added data - this unit can ping all other in the network sucessfully but none get a successful ping into the offending machine either with ip address or computer name (times out waiting for a response or says name cannot be found).  It can ping itself sucessfully.  It accesses the internet quite handily.

Solutions have been attempted without firewall (Norton Internet Smart firewall - 2010), with firewall and with various permission changes.  A final discovery was that the Windows firewall will not enable because BFE is not able to start - error 5 - access denied (this was discovered trying to enable a possible solution due to some internet chatter that the Windows firewall needed to be running to set up shared printers).  All other dependencies are running making me pause about why BFE is not (it is running on the Win 7 Laptop as well as is the firewall).  Permissions have been checked in the registry for BFE and firewall settings (ports, allows, etc) have also been looked at with a very critical eye.  SFC was run with no problems encountered.  All the ports for net drivers, Win 7 networking and other shares are opened in the firewalls.

So folks - I have researched the internet and tried many of the suggested solutions to no avail.  My apologies in advance if someone provides a solution and I say 'Already tried that'.  Any help is much appreciated

Question Info

Last updated March 19, 2019 Views 15,872 Applies to:
Answer
Answer
It is solved - but not as noted above - In visiting with Microsoft and on the web, the solution by HossMon works for almost all the folks that have the problem I was having.  Unfortunately, after two installs and two repairs to the install - Windows 7 would not start the Base Filtering Engine service - a prerequiste to several good services, including Windows Firewall.  So no one could get to the machine from the network and no printer share would install.

The Painful Fix - A clean install and a format of the hard drive as part of the process resolved the issue.  This machine has been mover to file server/file storage duty because of the hard repair I needed to do.  I moved its working image to another machine (the one I am on now) and now have 4 Windows 7 PCs running very nicely together.

So - as the web investigation indicated - no real fix for the BFE service not starting than a good clean install.  Us few unlucky devils that have had this problem have all had to do this if we wanted a well behaved network player.  Thanks to all that offered help and good luck in 2010.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

You can marked this issue as solved!
The offending program causing this error is Windows Firewall, here's what you need to do to resolve this issue....
If like me you have disabled windows firewall, I use ZoneAlarm's Security Suite, you need to re-enable the firewall in order to share the printer.

If you have disabled or turned off Windows Firewall. (and this error in my case was caused by exactly that)
Step #1 - Disable any other firewall you may have installed. Stop it from loading at boot and restart your PC.

Step #2 - Go to the Admin Tools Folder >> Services >> Windows Firewall >> Double click and either set it to Manual or Automatic and Save.

Step #3 - Open Control Panel >> System & Security >> Windows Firewall >> Turn Windows Firewall On or Off >> (Enable) Turn on Windows Firewall >> Save
Then go to Restore Defaults >> Click Restore Defaults Button >> Save
(you only need to do this IF you changed any settings for the firewall, but it's still a good idea and will ensure there are no problems when proceeding)

Step #4 - Click Control Panel Home >> View Devices & Printers >> Select/Click your Printer >> Display Printer Properties >> Sharing >> Share this Printer >> OK

Step #5 - Go Back to Windows Firewall and Turn it back off >> Save

Step #6 - Go Back to Services >> And set Windows Firewall to Manual (or disable if you  prefer, I recommend Manual)

Step #7 - Restart & Re-enable your preferred firewall to start at Boot >> Reboot

Step #8 - Take a deep breath and sigh with relief! :)

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.