The File and Printer Sharing setting in my LAN adapter is being turned off when I reboot. Why? What might be responsible for this?

I set File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks to ON in my LAN adapter properties. When I reboot it has turned itself off.

My PC runs Windows 7 64bit.
With File & Printer Sharing on, I am able to access folders on another Windows 7 32bit PC and that PC can access mine. After a reboot of my PC, neither is possible - file & printer sharing has turned itself off in the adapter properties on my PC (The other PC is still OK.)

In Control panel / Advanced Sharing Settings I also have the file and printer sharing option specified - and that stays on across a reboot. But it appears it is not sufficient to allow these two PCs to see each other.

When I turn File & Printer sharing back on in the adapter properties, both PCs can then see each other (no reboot necessary).

On the other PC, file & printer sharing survives across a reboot without being reset.

I withdrew both PCs from our homegroup last night in an attempt to narrow down where the problem lies.
My PC is using the standard Windows firewall t present.

This is one aspect of various strange problems I have been "enjoying" with Windows 7.  Following suggestions from other forums I have turned off jiumbo packets and have created an identical logon id on both systems. The Intel web site confirms I have the up-to-date Intel network card driver.

This is very strange. Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 1,266 Applies to:
Answer
Answer
I think I have found the cause of the problem.
This is a Lenovo Thinkpad and it comes with "Access Connections", software to assist in managing network connections.
Buried deep in the settings is a security option to turn off File and Printer Sharing.  I have disabled that and will test by rebooting later on.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.