I got this error when trying to view Windows 7 files from my Xbox XBMC, Windows XP and other Windows 7 computers.
I had the same user names on my other computers as the main computer and still couldn't access the files. I also had admin rights and setup the control panel's Network & Sharing Center with the options on every other forum. None of that worked for me!
If you've tried every other method like turning password sharing off, file sharing on, etc... try this!
The problem I had was that there were too many users listed under the drive's security tab.
This is not a thoroughly detailed description, but it should get you going if you have some advanced windows experience.
- Right click on the hard drive/folder that you are trying to share and click on Properties
- Click on the Security tab
- On my computer I had some strange listings under the "Group or user names" box
- You 'should' only have these listed:
- Authenticated Users
- Administrators (-your comp\username)
- Users (-your comp\username-)
- CREATOR OWNER
- *note: I may have missed a few important names as each folder has its own set
- Any users with REALLY long names are fake. YOU need to remove those users from the list.Click the EDIT tab, click the name and click remove
- Your computer may scan some files, let it finish.
- Add any missing users you have to (such as CREATOR OWNER, Everyone... ones you think you may want/need)
- Click OK and get out of every box, restart your computer and check to see if the problem is solved!
If it works for you, let me know! I was very frustrated when I couldn't find a solution anywhere and just figured this out.
Now if I could only figure out why my video shares are so choppy....