Slow downloads (torrents)

So i recently upgraded to a 5.2mb connection and my downloads are actually slower than when i had my old computer with the 1.2mb connection.  I can hardly get torrents to download at all and they won't keep their speed at any consistent rate.
  (edit) I have looked at the help in the torrent program faq and done everything it said as well, the dl speed is also affecting not only the torrents but dling off of regular other sites for drivers, wow add ons, etc)

The computer(desktop) is two weeks old, the router is brand new and win7 friendly.

I've speed tested and can consistently get 5.1 dl speeds on the site i go to and have tried several with similiar results.

I've done the following already.
Gotten rid of toredo, disabled ipv6, rolled back and dled newest drivers for all equipment involved, turned off firewalls, turned off msdefender and many other things i've seen in all the forums and help faqs i've looked for. 

my internet browsing and video streaming are fine and my downloads no longer kill my internet surfing but this is rather frustrating with all the other issues i've had to go thru.  any help would be appreciated.

Random computer stuff if it helps -
eMachines ET1331G-05w Desktop PC with AMD Athlon II X2 Dual-Core Processor 250U & Windows 7 Home Premium

Question Info

Last updated September 21, 2018 Views 831 Applies to:
Answer
Answer
Hi  srsbznz,

a)I presume that you are using Internet explorer to download files, it that correct?
b)Does the speed decreases only while downloading from torrents or other websites as well?

Let’s follow these steps to resolve the issue:

Step 1
Boot into ‘safe mode with networking’ and check if the download speed increases.  It will start Windows 7 with a limited set of files and drivers. Startup programs do not run in safe mode, and only the basic drivers needed to start Windows are installed, follow the steps to boot the computer in safe mode with networking:
i. Restart the computer
ii. Start tapping F8 key.
iii. You will get advanced boot option window.
iv. Select the option “Safe mode with networking”.
Start your computer in safe mode:
 http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Start-your-computer-in-safe-mode

Step 2
Secondly, follow the troubleshooting steps given in this link:
How to optimize Internet Explorer
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936213

Step 3
Also run an online virus scan from the link given below as it sometimes cause due to virus. If you have any antivirus software installed on your computer please install the latest update for the software so that it works properly
http://onecare.live.com/site/en-nz/default.htm?mkt=en-nz

Refer:

Hope the information helps. Please post back and let us know.
Regards
Debleena S
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.