Windows 7 support has ended

Get Windows 10 to continue receiving support.

Upgrade now

Remote Desktop Stopped Functioning using Windows 7 Enterprise 32 bit edition

Hi,

Recently installed and configured Windows 7 Enterprise 32 bit on my home laptop with great praise. Downloaded and installed all Windows updates. Currently connected to my home network with a Linksys wireless g router. I'm using AVG anti-virus free with the Windows Firewall enabled. I have a static connection to my internet and have configured this locally on my machine. Port forwarding is enabled on the router's console to open port 3389 on my static IP address. I am connected to a Private network and have configured the Windows Firewall to accept incoming connections from the RDP port on the private networks only (Public and Domain are blocked by default). My Remote Desktop was working fine for about a week. No hardware or software changes made on the laptop. I tried to connect one day from work and receive the following error "This computer can't connect to the remote computer. Try connecting again. If the problem continues, contact the owner of the remote computer or your network administrator."

Since then, I have power cycled modem and router. I double checked external IP address and my IP pulling from the gateway, none of which have changed. No changes have been made to the router's console either. I have run netstat -n command and port 3389 is no longer listening. I have unblocked all Incoming Connections in Windows Firewall and disabled 3rd party antivirus to no avail (I have since reverted the changes for security reasons). I am at a loss now for where to check next. Has anyone else seen an issue similar to mine with Windows 7 or any other OS?

Thanks in advance for your time.
Answer
Answer
Hi Kyle,

Try to flush your DNS cache and rebuild the TCP/IP stack using commands.  Also try to turn off IPv6 to see if it will helps.

netsh int ip reset c:\tcpiprebuild.log
ipconfig /flushdns

Hope this helps,

Kevin
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.
Kevin

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 14, 2018 Views 11,570 Applies to: