remote desktop screen resolution: the fonts and icons in the remote desktop window are so small that they can barely be read.

remote desktop screen resolution

I have recently upgraded to a Windows 7 laptop from an XP desktop machine. 

On my old machine, I use a VPN clent and remote desktop connection to use my work computer (my company uses XP on all their machines).  If I try to connect from my Windows 7 machine, the fonts and icons in the remote desktop window are so small that they can barely be read.  Changing the display options in the Remote Desktop settings only affects the window size, not the resolution.

This is a problem because I am stuck using my old system to work remotely.

Any ideas?

Answer
Answer

All you have to do is lower the resolution of the screen you are using to connect your Remote Desktop Session.  The lower the resolution the larger the characters will be on your screen and when you connect to Remote Desktop.  In my case I lowered the resolution in my screen at home to the resolution of the screen in my office.  It works perfect.  To lower the resolution follow these steps:

1.  Click Start

2.  Click Control Panel

3. Under Appearance & Personalization - Click on Adjust Screen Resolution.  You may get a message that your resolution is no at optimum but don't worry about that you will still be able to see the letters on your display.

130 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated September 19, 2020 Views 91,930 Applies to: