Remote Desktop Connection: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit won't connect to Windows XP computer at work through VPN

Hi all

I am trying to establish a remote desktop connection FROM my new laptop (Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit) TO my work computer (Windows XP) via a VPN. The VPN Client connects to my work network with no problems, but when I try to use the Remote Desktop Connection I get an error message:

Remote Desktop can't connect to the remote computer for one of these reasons:

1) Remote access to the server is not enabled

2) The remote computer is turned off

3) The remote computer is not available on the network

Make sure the remote computer is turned on and connected to the network, and that remote access is enabled.  

Items 1-3 are working fine, so I guess the problem is from another issue?

I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks
Lou
Answer
Answer
Thanks for your reply Al. To answer your qus:

1) Cisco VPN Client for 64-bit.
2) I don't know how to ping through the VPN tunnel - I don't see that option anywhere in the Cisco Client (I'm not an IT professional, just a user)
3) Yes. Also I can connect to the host PC through my old XP laptop (xp) from home fine, just not my new laptop (Windows 7 Home Premium) so the problem must be with my new laptop rather than at the host PC end.

Once you connect via the VPN tunnel open a command window, ie. go to Start > Run and then type cmd, and type ping RDC-host-name or ping RDC-IP-address.

Examples:

ping lou-pc

ping 192.168.1.25

FWIW I have a Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit wireless desktop on my home LAN that connects just fine to a XP Pro SP3 32-bit wired test machine using Remote Desktop [RDC]. Now the XP Pro SP3 RDC test machine is configured for a static IP and I manually configured the net mask, gateway and DNS addresses and made sure NetBIOS over TCPIP is enabled in the properties of the Ethernet NIC on the test machine.

Just for fun I checked the file hashes for the mstsc.exe file on both the Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit machine and a Win 7 Home Premium 32-bit machine that I have and the hashes were a bit different as were the file sizes. The file versions were the same though. I presume the difference is because one is 64-bits versus 32...

MS-MVP Windows Expert - Consumer
"When all else fails read the instructions"

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 17, 2020 Views 13,419 Applies to: