Remote Desktop - access denied error after logon

When trying to remote into my desktop, I am getting an "access denied" error after entering username/password. (This used to work for me, but I think some changes made by a support technician working on another problem has somehow broken remote desktop. I tried going back to an older restore point, but that did not work.)

I am using Windows 7 64-bit. My user account is a member of the Remote Desktop Users group.

Is there a step by step procedure I can use to diagnose the problem, or a Microsoft Fix-it tool available?

Here is some information on "Remote..." services:

Remote Access Auto Connection Manager,Creates a connection to a remote network whenever a program references a remote DNS or NetBIOS name or address.,,Manual,Local System
Remote Access Connection Manager,Manages dial-up and virtual private network (VPN) connections from this computer to the Internet or other remote networks. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.,Started,Manual,Local System
Remote Desktop Configuration,Remote Desktop Configuration service (RDCS) is responsible for all Remote Desktop Services and Remote Desktop related configuration and session maintenance activities that require SYSTEM context. These include per-session temporary folders, RD themes, and RD certificates.,Started,Manual,Local System
Remote Desktop Services UserMode Port Redirector,Allows the redirection of Printers/Drives/Ports for RDP connections,Started,Manual,Local System
Remote Packet Capture Protocol v.0 (experimental),Allows to capture traffic on this machine from a remote machine.,,Manual,Local System
Remote Procedure Call (RPC),The RPCSS service is the Service Control Manager for COM and DCOM servers. It performs object activations requests, object exporter resolutions and distributed garbage collection for COM and DCOM servers. If this service is stopped or disabled, programs using COM or DCOM will not function properly. It is strongly recommended that you have the RPCSS service running,Started,Automatic,Network Service
Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Locator,In Windows 2003 and earlier versions of Windows, the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Locator service manages the RPC name service database. In Windows Vista and later versions of Windows, this service does not provide any functionality and is present for application compatibility.,Started,Automatic,Network Service
Remote Registry,Enables remote users to modify registry settings on this computer. If this service is stopped, the registry can be modified only by users on this computer. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.,Started,Automatic,Local Service

Question Info

Last updated October 14, 2019 Views 1,746 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hello,

Thank you for posting your question in Microsoft Community.

The issue you posted is more technical and we have a dedicated forum where issues such as yours are handled and would be better suited in the TechNet community.

Please visit the link below to find a community that will offer the best support.
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?category=w7itpro

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance with Windows, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Ramesh Kumar.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.