Red X wireless ICON; Random autoconnects -- Fixed, but need the right fixes

Red X through wireless ICON, but have connectivity.  FIX:  Add the User LOCAL SERVICE to the administrator's group and the ICON works properly.  Remove the user LOCAL SERVICE, behavior returns.  What's the correct fix?

Random autoconnects at boot or restart on wireless adapter.  All other network adapters have been disabled as a precaution.  Using DHCP.  Errors were Address Config Status Error (1001, 1003) and DNS Client Error (1014).
Added my router IP address in the list of DNS addresses and the problem went away.  What is the correct fix?

Currently trying to debug an extremely rare error "Media Disconnected".  Fix is re-boot.  The fix under XP was "net start wireless zero configuration".  Stopping and starting the service "WLAN autoconfig" does not fix the problem under windows 7.

As I understand, these problems are rampant under Windows 7 and the fixes range from the absurd to re-install windows.  Oh, that belongs in absurd too.
Answer
Answer
OK, I'm convinced the fix works and connections are much quicker.

You need to add the user "LOCAL SERVICE" to the "Distributed COM Users".  You don't need the DNS fix nor the Admin group fix.

Anyone need instructions?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 11, 2018 Views 3,996 Applies to: