Play to cannot connect to device

I have two window 7 PC, a laptop on the wireless network in my home and a Desktop connected with a hardline. I also have a Xbox360. I have both PC's connected to a homegroup and can access media in WMP12 from both PC's and play my media on the 360. When I select "Play to" and send the media to any of the devices, I get "Device not Responding". And then the media states "Contacting media server..." in the play to window. I checked my firewall setting and all seems to be good. I am unsure why I cannot make play to work. It worked a couple of months ago. Media sharing and streaming is enabled on all my devices, so I am unsure what to do from here.

Hey Dimo30, 

Turn on all your network devices and connect them to the network.  Open Network and Sharing Center on the Windows 7 PC and click See Full map. Check if Windows 7 accurately detect all devices or not. 

Although it's easy to use Play To—you manage what you stream in a single dialog—you must already have a network set up, the correct hardware, and media streaming turned on before you can play media on other devices. 

Before you can use Play To, you need the following hardware and software: 

·         A wired or wireless private network.

·         Either another computer on your network running Windows 7 or a device known as a digital media receiver (sometimes called a networked digital media player). Digital media receivers are hardware devices connected to your wired or wireless network that you can control using your computer.

Notes

·         You must allow remote control on another computer before you can stream media to it. For more information on allowing remote control and other streaming settings, see Change settings for streaming media in Windows Media Player.

·         When you stream music to a digital media receiver, you might not be able to switch tracks using controls on the device itself or the remote control that came with the device.

Turn on streaming 

Your computer needs to detect suitable playback devices on your network before you can use Play To to stream media. That means media streaming must be turned on, if you haven't already done so. To turn on media streaming on your home network in Windows Media Player, follow these steps: 

1.      Click the Start button, click All Programs, and then click Windows Media Player.

If the Player is currently open and you’re in Now Playing mode, click the Switch to Library button in the upper-right corner of the Player.

2.      Click Stream, and then click Turn on home media streaming.

Turn on home media streaming won't be available on the Stream menu if streaming is already turned on.

3.      In Media streaming options, click Turn on media streaming.  If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

4.      Click OK.

For more information about how to use media streaming, see Stream your media to devices and computers using Windows Media Player.

To know how to:

Use Play To in Windows Media Player

Use Play To elsewhere in Windows

Manage items in the Play To dialog box

Refer the below link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-NZ/windows7/using-the-play-to-feature-to-stream-media

Regards,

Savan – Microsoft Support.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello Savan,

I had already verified all of these settings and setup before I posted. I do not understand why I get a "device not responding" error when it is clear that both of my PC's and my Xbox360 all see each other on the network. I can even access the media through my homegroup and can stream my media on my xbox360 fine. The issue is that play to will not work.
Dimo30

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I get the same timeouts. Sometimes it does work. Play to is really flaky.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

+1
In my "Choose media streaming options" area I can see all devices on my Local Network, and that they are all "Allowed." I still get nothing. I wish someone from Microsoft could respond with more than basic tutorial information that is already readily available in the basic Help section of the website. 

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Today, I just discovered Play To on my Xbox. I got to the point where it said "Device not responding" so I Googled it. Sure enough, I see MS Answers. Then there's the typical unhelpful, generic reply by some "Forum Moderator".

Vinod, I just have to ask, how do you even acquire Forum Moderator or earn good ratings? Your answers are horrible. It seems as if you simply copy and paste from other web sites or things you saved on your computer for later use. I mean did you even read what OP wrote? Let me break it down for you.

OP: "I have two Windows 7 PCs (laptop and desktop. I have an Xbox 360. I also have a home network (it is both wired and wireless). The desktop (naturally) connects via Ethernet and the laptop wirelessly (nothing was stated about how the Xbox connects, but it can be assumed it does connect in either wired or wireless manner)." He also states that he has turned on sharing and streaming in Network and Sharing.

You: Assume he doesn't have a home network by stating the requirement that he needs a home network (he already said he has one). Included in that statement you also say that he needs a Windows 7 PC, which he already clearly stated he has. You then proceed to explain to him how to enable
media/home media streaming when he already stated he had done so.

I really don't understand why you bother posting this pathetic and worthless
responses. You don't read what he writes, and generically copy and paste
what might be the closest thing to the answer (which in reality it's just a general
approach). You don't aim to help him, and simply post things that make you
appear to be intelligent just to get "points" and feel good about yourself.
You could be more personal with him and treat him like a human being.

And these answers can help other people. Well, it didn't help me since his
situation is quite similar to mine (minus one PC). This section is simply
a waste of Internet space.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Halo3Productions,

is there an actual question in there? LOL

Before you proceed to take the proverbial strap to community members, please remember that the majority of people in here are just like you...computer enthusiasts volunteering to help others. If you are looking to speak with a Microsoft rep, I would suggest contacting one through the MS website under "contact us" There are three options, email, chat, and phone support. And also note that this particular site is for general questions. Which is why that community member initially replied with basic steps to try.  Also, since you are a tech, you know the more detail you give upfront the better the response can be...tell me your computer is broke and I'm starting at the simple stuff first. Give me a specific, detailed question and I can tell that my audience is not the normal user and I can get more technical up to my abilities.

Also, please note that you are replying to a post that is over two years old.

As the saying goes...you attract more flies with sugar than vinegar!

Now, I would advise that you create a new post in either the Windows Experts forum, which is exactly what it sounds like, or go over to Tech Net and post that issue.

Here are the two links below:

http://experts.windows.com/frms/default.aspx

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-us/w7itpronetworking/threads

I hope this helps solve that issue,

Eddie b

The answer is in the details!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

kudos to Halo3Productions
eddieb, you're just as daft as Vinod N - the two of you can go take a long walk off a short pier

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Heyyyyy. I found the Fix for this problem, for future reference.

a. Click Start and then type "services" (without quotes) in the Start Search box.

b. In the results area, right-click services, and then click “Run as administrator”.
You will be prompted to type the password for an administrator account. Click Continue if you are the administrator or type the administrator password. Then, click Continue.

c. In Services Window locate the service “Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service” and double click on it.

d. Make sure that the Startup type is set to “Manual” and the Service status is “Started”.

e. Check if the issue is fixed.

I fixed my Play to issue of " Device not responding"

Hope it helps.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks. This was informative and easy to follow but did not solve the issue for me. 

I spent a whole night trying the various methods online. The 'Play to' function used to work for me . Then one day it just stopped.

In the end what worked for me?
Uninstalling the Xbox One Video App, then re-installing it.
Then it "found the device" and 'connected'. Ended up being very simple (which was kind of frustrating after the time i've spent trying to figure it out)

Sometimes Xbox updates fix one app but break another.

P.s.Agreed that Vinod N  and eddieb are both ****. They reply with overly-complex and irrelevant 'answers' - and i'm beginning to think they aren't real people.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey I just tried this and it didnt help unfortunately any other ideas? I stream stuff for my wife who is a stay at home mom and she loves to watch her shows here and there. It has been working fine forever never had a problem with it until now it just says Device not responding.

Thanks

Matt

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 4, 2023 Views 9,374 Applies to: