Operation failed with error 0x00000006 (Windows 7 x64)

We have a Homegroup with one desktop and one laptop (wireless connection). Both are running 64bit Windows 7 Home Premium.  The laptop and view shared files on the desktop and vice versa, but it cannot access the shared printer attached to the desktop. The driver for the printer, a Canon MP500, is up-to-date (I have no issues printing directly from the desktop) and sharing has been enabled in the printer properties.  When I try to install the printer on the laptop as a network printer, the laptop sees the printer but will not connect. I get the following message: "Windows cannot connect to the printer. Operation failed with error 0x00000006."  Any assistance would be appreciated!

Answer
Answer

Hi ,

• Do you have any security software's installed on the computer?

You may try installing the printer as a local printer and later check if you can print from the network. To do this follow the steps below:

a.  Click on Start and select Devices and Printers.

b.  Click on Add a printer > Add a local printer >

c.  Create a new port and in the drop-down box make sure "Local Port" is selected and click on Next

d.  Then under "Enter a port name" enter the path to the networked printer -\\computer name\printer name and click on OK

e.  Try to print and check if it works.

Hope this helps. Let us know the results.

Thanks and Regards,

Srinivas R

Microsoft Support.

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

144 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated July 13, 2020 Views 135,641 Applies to: