Network icon show red "X" even though wireless adapter is connected and working...

Running Windows 7 Ultimate and I recently tried installing the new softwarer/driver for the Netgear WPN111 wireless adapter. Before the install everything worked normally with the older version 2.1, but after installing version 3.0 it does not.

When the network icon in systray comes up you get the disconnected icon with the circle while it searches. Once it finishes it goes back to the disconnected icon, even though it is now connected to my wireless.

Here are somethings I've tried:

- clearing all network locations
- clearing tray notification cache using CCleaner
- uninstalling the adapter itself from device manager including checking delete driver
- removing the wireless network and adding it back manually
- hiding and unhiding the network icon in the tray
- uninstalling version 3.0 and reinstalling version 2.1
- uninstalling version 3.0 and reinstalling version 3.0
- restarting the Network Location Awareness service
- disabling and renabling the Network Location Awareness service after a reboot

Here are some things I've noticed:

- the network icon used to change to the wireless icon during connecting and once connected, now it always shows the wired network icon
- tried connecting to a wired connect and the same thing happens, it goes back to displaying the icon with the red "X" even though it is connected
- booted into safe mode with networking and the icon works normally in safe mode

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated. It's one of those things that doesn't really affect the functionality of Windows, but it's annoying as all.
Answer
Answer
Hmm... a complete reinstall seems a bit premature at this point. Why not first try the following:

1. Clear all preferred wireless networks from your network configuration. Right click to manage, click wireless on the left, delete everything.
2. Ensure the network manager service is running.

A reboot may be required, but it was not in my case.

96 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 19, 2020 Views 257,771 Applies to: