Windows 7 support has ended

Get Windows 10 to continue receiving support.

Upgrade now

Need help starting Diagnostic Policy Service error code 5: access is denied, I can't access internet at all

I have a dell studio 1749 laptop running windows 7 home premium. It had dual hard drives, C:\ is a 120gb force series corsair solid state drive, D:\ is a seagate 500gb 7200 rpm. The Solid State Drive was installed after the original purchase from dell, it is the boot drive, but windows is stored on the seagate. I was replacing my keyboard in the laptop when this all happend. I was powering down and accidentally unplugged the computer as it was powering down. I started it back up and my dell dock thing that came with the computer said it wasn't working. I couldnt connect to the internet, and it said my diagnostic policy service was not running as well as my DHCP server thing. When trying to turn it on in services.msc it would go on saying error code 5: access is denied.

I went into registry and made sure i had TrustedInstaller and it had full permissions and it still wont work. I have tried resetting winsock and winsock2, tried changing npca.cpl or something and modyfying how my internet works and it still wont work. I cant do system restore because for sometime about 10 days ago every time i try to do it it says catastrophic failure (0x8000FFFF) so that doesnt work. Even though i bought the computer from dell it doesnt come with the windows 7 disc and drivers disc and i just requested that from them today so i dont have it yet.

Thanks in advance!

Answer
Answer

Hi kiva667,

·        Which security software is installed on the computer?

Try the following steps and check if it helps:

Step 1:

Disable antivirus software

Warning:
Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you have to temporarily disable it to install other software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

Step 2:

Try the Microsoft Fix it and/or the manual steps from the following article links and check if it helps:

Some services do not start in Windows Vista (Applicable to Windows 7)

Hope this helps.

Thanks and Regards,
Santosh Y – Microsoft Support

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated December 16, 2019 Views 8,409 Applies to: