My internet is very slow, and I've tried everything!

My internet says its at 144.0Mbps. But in reality it totally isn't. Every time i turn on the game apb reloaded, or try to play some blacklight retribution, or whatever else, I get latency that usually hangs around at 800+ms. Normally, my latency is down to 100ms or less. Now I've tried unplugging the router, and pluggin it back it. I've tried cooling it with a fan. I've even done a factory reset. Theres no interference as nothing in my house has changed, and the router isn't even 2 years old yet. When i diagnose networks in general with the troubleshooter, nothing pops up. However when I right clicked the network (cisconetwork), went to status, and clicked diagnose, it said 'the access route between the internet seems to be broken' or something like that. It told me to unplug the modem (not the router) and re-plug it, so I did. But NOW when i diagnosed cisconetwork, it says 'Your computer seems to be correctly configured, but the DNS server is not responding' which would usually mean i should have no internet at all, except i'm on the internet asking this question right now. Any suggestions?

Question Info

Last updated March 13, 2018 Views 529 Applies to:
Answer

Hi,

Do you have any anti-virus software installed on your computer?

Delete files using Disk Cleanup:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Delete-files-using-Disk-Cleanup

Connect the computer directly to the modem:

You can try to bypass the wireless router and connect the computer directly to the modem and check the performance of the Internet.

Disable Anti-virus software:

If you have any Anti-virus software installed on your computer, disable it. Then check the performance of the internet connection.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Disable-antivirus-software

Also disable the firewalls on the computer and check.

Note: Please make sure that you enable the antivirus software after performing the test to keep your computer protected.

Boot the computer to ‘Safe Mode with Networking’:

How to boot your system into Safe Mode:

1. Restart your computer if it is powered on.

2. Tap the F8 key after your computer initially powers on.

3. Once you see the Advanced Boot Options menu you can stop tapping.

4. Use the up/down arrow keys to highlight your selection.

5. Select Safe Mode with Networking and press Enter.

6. You should see drivers loading, and then please wait.

7. You should then be at the Welcome Screen.

8. Logon to your computer using an account with Administrator privileges.

Check out this article that will give you information on causes for slow internet connection:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Why-is-my-Internet-connection-so-slow

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.