My computer can not identify xfinity wifi hopspot

So i'm away from home and i've been using Xfinity's hotspot plan to get my internet for my laptop. All of a sudden one morning it says that the network can not be identified. So I thought maybe if you renew my ip it would solve it. That did not work. I panicked a little and started looking up tons of videos on Youtube on my phone on how to fix this problem. I found many unidentified network videos but none of them were for hopspots like Xfinity's so they did not work for me. I searched the web and found one or two people with the same problem as me but they were not solved. So i'm trying like they did to see if someone will help me figure this problem out. Keep in mind I've tried just about all the normal fixes like the cmd ones and uninstalling my adapter to let it install again. Please anything would help and thank you for  taking the time to read this.

Hi Anthony,

Thanks for providing the troubleshooting you've performed to resolve your query. To aid you with your query better, we just have a few questions for you:

• Were there any changes that happened on your device prior to your concern?
  • Can you tell us the troubleshooting steps that you have performed on your device using the command prompt?

We're looking forward to your response.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you for noticing this.

1. First I open the command prompt as an administrator.
  2. I type in "ipconfig /release"
  3. Then the disconnected stuff pops up.
  4. I then follow that up with "ipconfig /renew" to get the new ip for my computer since so many people using the Xfinity hotspot are using the same ip address.
  5. After that more information comes up in the cmd but nothing that looks useful.
  6. I then restart the computer to see if that will work, but it does not for me at least.
  7. I then go back to step 1 and type in "netsh winsock reset catalog".
  8. It then says Successfully reset the Winsock Catalog and to restart for it to complete the reset.
  9. After that before I restart I put in the second part."netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log" It says done a couple of times and to restart to complete it. I also do this for the ipv6.
  10. "netsh int ipv5 reset reset.log"
  11. I then finally restart the computer again and then nothing changes with the Xfinity network.
  12. It still says unidentified. It will also say next to it's name connected or limited but never does it not say unidentified. I know that usually if it says limited that means to use a web browser to sign in but I've tried that many times and it does not work when this network in unidentified trust me. Thanks again for reading this.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Have you attempted updating your wireless drivers?

If so, I also advise:

- Does the network connection appear on other devices running the same operating system?

- Is the network connection secured and if so what type of encryption are you using?

- Have you attempted using Windows 7's built in troubleshooting feature?

I also recommend you contact Comcast (the parent company of Xfinity) to see if this problem is related to the network itself and not your machine.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm not sure because the only other computer here at the moment  is a windows 8 but it does show up on that computer as well(but can not connect either).

Xfinity hotspots are not secured.

My windows 7 troubleshooter used to work around 2 years ago but now it does absolutely nothing now. I have tried just to be sure and it did not do anything. I even tested this by disabling my adapter and troubleshooting but it just said it could not identify the problem. It used to tell me that the adapter was not enabled but it does not work anymore. Maybe that problem ties in with the network not being identified?

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated December 20, 2023 Views 3,895 Applies to: