Manage Wireless Networks Windows 7 Connections not saved

My connections are not saved.  Only my current connection shows up on "Manage Wireless Networks."  I've manually added connections many times.  Whenever I shutdown and move to a new location all connections get deleted and I have to re-enter passwords to connect even at home.  I cannot find a way to save them.  I have used command lines to adjust settings;  "netsh wlan set" to no avail.

I have had this Dell M4800 workstation (laptop) for 1 yr and 8 months and it has never worked.  A long time ago I spent a few hours with Dell support and they could not find the problem.  They say it is a Windows 7 problem.  Sometimes it drives me nuts.  Many of my industrial applications do not work on Windows 8 or 10 so I have not been able to upgrade.

One suggestion on this site that helped someone was to uninstall Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN Mini Card. I do not have this.

Hi Michael,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

As per the description, I understand that you are facing issues using Manage Wireless Networks.

I would like to know some information.

1. Have you made any changes to your computer settings prior to this issue?
  2. Are there multiple network adapters installed on your computer?

Try these steps and let us know if any connections exist:

1.  a.    Click “Start” and click “Control Panel”.
  2. b.    Type “Network” in the search box.
  3. c.    Click “Network and Sharing Center”.
  4. d.    Click “Change adapter settings” on the left pane.

-      What are the available options here?

I would also request you to please provide us the screen shot of the issue.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/take-screen-capture-print-screen#take-screen-capture-print-screen=windows-7

Hope this information helps. Please let us know if you need any other assistance with Windows in future. We will be happy to assist you.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Mayank;

Thank you so much for responding.  This problem is quite irritating.  I've had it since the beginning.  I even crashed my disk a year ago and reloaded everything from scratch and have the same problem.  I do not see how to attach files so I put the screen/window captures on dropbox for you.  If there is anything else you want to see, do not hesitate to ask!  You see there is only one network in the "Manage wireless networks."  On other computers I have dozens.  As soon as I leave this network it gets deleted and the list is blank again.  I suspect there is a conflict with something.  I do not have any other adapters, but some software package I use installed Microsoft virtual WiFi Miniport.  I had this problem before that was added and I don't remember which package installed the virtual ports.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v68w8zyu3bhn1yb/Manage%20Networks.jpg?dl=0

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Michael,

Thank you for the update.

I would like to inform you that we do not have access to the link that you provided.

I would suggest you to refer to the link on how to include a screen shot in your post.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_other-windows_programs/how-to-include-a-screenshot-in-your-post/2594b08e-32a3-476a-85a6-b021181be7e4

Please let us know the information. We will be glad to assist you further.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

That was easy.  I didn't see any kind of icon for an attachment and thought that graphics icon was for background graphics or something.

Here are the screen captures...

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

I would suggest you to refer to the steps.

You need to contact your Router manufactures for information to put in the steps.

You need to know the default IP address for your Router (ISP) model. Common default IP address for ISP is 192.168.0.1 but you can confirm it from ISP.

1. Open      Internet Explorer.
  2. Type in the      default IP address for ISP in      the address bar and press ENTER.
  3. You may      also need to sign in with your username and password for your router (In      some models, you will find the default username and password on a sticker      pasted on the back of the router).
  4. Navigate      to the wireless settings page for your router.
  5. Locate the      SSID field and change the name.
  6. Click SAVE      to save changes.

You will notice the SSID name changed in the Network and Sharing Center.

Hope this information helps. Please let us know if you need any other assistance with Windows in future. We will be happy to assist you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for the response, but you did not address the problem.  I did as you asked and changed the SSID name.  The name changed in Network and Sharing.  The old WiFi ATT311 disappeared as do all WiFi connections.  How do I save them?  Why do they all get deleted all the time?  I manage several other computers.  All the WiFi connections get saved everywhere else.  But not on mine.  My old laptop has dozens of WiFi connections saved.  My M4800 workstation has none.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

You may try this.

I would suggest you to completely uninstall the network adapter and reinstall from the manufacturers website and check.

Update the network adapter driver:

If you reset your network adapter and you still can't connect to a network, you might need to update the adapter driver. (Updating the driver can solve the problem of missing or failed drivers, as well as outdated ones.) To update your network adapter driver, follow these steps:

1.       Open Device Manager by clicking the Start button

2.       Double-click Network Adapters, right-click your adapter, and then click Properties.

3.       Click the Driver tab, and then click Update Driver.

If Windows can't find the driver on your computer and you don't have a connection to the Internet, you might need to contact the network adapter manufacturer or your computer manufacturer to get the driver. Check the information that came with your network adapter or your computer to see if you have a disc that contains the drivers.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I tried this.  Driver is up to date.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

I would suggest you to uninstall the network adapter and download the drivers from the link given below and check.

Click the Download File option in the link:

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=R0D6M

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for the suggestion.  I would rather wrestle with it the way it is instead of uninstalling and re-installing drivers.  A problem with the re-install could leave me without WiFi.  This laptop is the lifeblood of my work.  WiFi works fine now.  I just cannot save connections and have to re-enter passwords to connect.  

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated November 12, 2023 Views 1,314 Applies to: