I've recently installed Windows 7 RC over a Vista Business OS and have found the network settiongs no longer work. What settings I should enter to configure the local ethernet connection?

Windows 7 TCP/IPv4 and TCP/IPv6 settings

I've recently installed Windows 7 RC over a Vista Business OS and have found the network settiongs no longer work.

More through luck than judgement I've got the wireless network working using TCP/IPv4 settings; IP address - 192.168.0.22, Sub mask - 255.255.255.0, Default gateway 192.168.0.1, and Preferred DNS 192.168.0.2

However, no matter what configuration I try I can't get local ethernet connection working.

Can anyone tell me what settings I should enter to configure the local ethernet connection???  Also, what settings should I use for the TCP/IPv6
|
Answer
Answer
Hi John Blackwell,

Thanks for posting to the "Getting Ready for Windows 7" community forum.

"I've got the wireless network working using TCP/IPv4 settings"  may indicate that your router or ISP does not support IPv6 on the router the customer was using.  Here is a forum link inwhich the user experienced this issue;  http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprogeneral/thread/91196587-976b-4764-8949-8369c29154c8/

The options the user chose were to disable IPv6 on the network device.

Here are the steps to disable IPv6;

Right click on the network icon and select Open the Network and Sharing Center.

In the resulting window, select "Change adapter settings".

In the Network Connections window, select the "Local Area Connection" for the onboard NIC (or whatever it's called), then "Change settings of this connection" or file>properties.

In the connection property page, uncheck the box for "Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6)".

Close all the windows and reboot your system.

See if you are able to connect then.

If you are setting up a HomeGroup network you will have to re-enable IPv6 after the network is setup.

If the information provided does not assist you with this configuration, you may want to post your question to the Windows 7 Technet forum.  This forum are for user with Advanced configuration issues.  It may provide you with more topic related interests you have involving your configuration.

Here is the link:  http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/category/w7itpro?ITPID=sprblog.

Thanks again for posting to "Getting Ready for Windows 7" community forum.

Regards,

Debbie
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.
Debbie

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 14, 2018 Views 131,026 Applies to: