'ipconfig /registerdns' in the command line yields 'This operation requires elevation' please help!

I have intermittent and slow internet. Usually no problem is detected but occasionally it comes up with 'problem with device or DNS server' I have tried help on other forums. When I try 'ipconfig /registerdns' in the command line I get the message 'This operation requires evelvation' please help! Someone else mentioned about doing something to do with MAC on the router page?
Answer
Answer
As far as needing elevated privileges, you need to run the command window as an administrator.
Click Start or tap the  key and type cmd then hit Ctrl+Shift+Enter. Acknowledge the UAC confirmation and provide credentials if necessary. A command window with elevated privileges will open.

As far as your DNS server is concerned, you do not have to use the one supplied by your ISP. Set the router's primary and secondary DNS to any known good DNS server, preferably a minimum number of hops from your IP address. Set your DHCP to pass this setting along along to the addresses it hands out or use itself as the primary DNS if that capability exits. Any requests will simply be passed upstream to the router's DNS.

17 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 2, 2024 Views 27,232 Applies to: