Internet gradually slows down

I am using a desktop computer with Windows 7. I am connected to the internet via a Netgear wireless router, and recently I have been experiencing a problem where my internet speed gradually slows down and ultimately I am unable to load webpages/internet content through any browser/other software (eg skype calls, dropbox). 

When I initially boot the computer, internet speeds are fine, but the longer I use it the slower my connection gets. 

I have many other devices on this network that have no problem with internet speeds - a Mac laptop, a Playstation 3, a 3DS, a Playstation Vita, an iPhone, etc. this problem is isolated to my Windows PC. I assume it is a software or configuration issue as my signal strength is strong (literally three metres away from the router, my computer is relatively new (less than a year), and the problem seems to 'fix' itself when I reboot my computer each time, until the connection starts to slow down again. 

What might be the cause of this problem? I'm happy to respond with configuration info on my computer and router if you let me know what is relevant to post. 

Question Info

Last updated October 26, 2018 Views 5,954 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hello Echidnite,

Thank you for posting your question on Microsoft Community.

I would like to know some information about the issue so that we could help you better.

Have you made any hardware or software changes to your computer?
What is the make and model of your desktop?

I would suggest you to try following methods and check if it helps.

Method 1:
Use this Microsoft help article and check.
Why is my Internet connection so slow?
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows/why-internet-connection-slow#why-internet-connection-slow=windows-7

If it does not help, then use article in method 2.

Method 2:
Is Internet Explorer slow? 5 things to try

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/help/internet-explorer/slow-five-tips-to-boost-performance

Important Notes:
The Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature might reset security settings or privacy settings that you added to the list of Trusted Sites. The Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature might also reset parental control settings. We recommend that you note these sites before you use the Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature. Resetting Internet Explorer isn't reversible, and all previous settings are lost after reset.

Any data files that are infected may only be cleaned by deleting the file entirely, which means there is a potential for data loss.

I hope this information helps.

Please do let us know if you need any further assistance.

Thank you

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your response!

I haven't recently made any hardware or software changes of any significance, my webcam recently stopped working so I uninstalled the drivers for that. About a month ago I bought a new Logitech mouse, but it's just using the same software as my previous mouse. 

My desktop was custom built, so I can't give a make and model, and I don't have my manufacturing receipt available currently so I can't be 100% on every detail, but roughly:

8GB RAM
Acpi x64-based pc motherboard
AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series Graphics Card
Intel Core i7 Processor

Looking at your first linked article and breaking down some of the points, a lot of them don't apply, as I have a good connection, good signal strength, other devices have very good speeds. I do not have any malware or viruses and have checked using Kaspersky Internet Security, 

The second linked article focuses on Internet Explorer which I do not generally use - regardless of which browser I use I experience the same eventual slowdown, in Chrome, Firefox or Internet Explorer, and it also affects other services like Steam and browsing the iTunes store. So I don't think making Explorer specific configuration changes will help me. 

My situation is a bit different from just have slow speed in general because when I initally boot my computer my connection speed is quick but it gradually slows down as I use the computer over the course of a couple of hours. 

Sorry this didn't help.

A new function was added to Disk CleanUp in October 2013, which is not available in cCleaner. You need to change existing settings to take advantage of the new function. Type Disk CleanUp in the Search Box above the Start Button and press the ENTER key. Click on OK and after the space calculation you will see a window with a list of Files to delete. Use the scroll bar to the right of the window to see hidden entries further down the list. Check the boxes before Service Pack BackUp Files and Windows Update CleanUp and click on OK You will see savings every time after Windows has been updated but they are not as significant when it is run after the first time. You need to restart the computer to complete the process.

Please download and run ADWCleaner:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/

Please download and run Junkware Removal tool
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/junkware-removal-tool/

Please provide a copy of your System Information file. Type System Information in the Search Box above the start Button and press the ENTER key (alternative is Select Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Information). Select File, Export and give the file a name noting where it is located. Do not place the cursor within the body of the report before exporting the file. The system creates a new System Information file each time system information is accessed. You need to allow a minute or two for the file to be fully populated before exporting a copy. Please upload to your Sky Drive, share with everyone and post a link here. Reports in normal mode preferred. Please say if the report has been obtained in safe mode.

Please upload and share with everyone copies of your System and Application logs from your Event Viewer to your Sky Drive and post a link here.

To access the System log select Start, Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Event Viewer, from the list in the left side of the window expand Windows Logs and select System. Place the cursor on System, select Action from the Menu and Save All Events as (the default evtx file type) and give the file a name. Do the same for the Applications log. Do not provide filtered files. Do not clear logs whilst you have a continuing problem.

For help with Sky Drive see paragraph 9.3:
http://www.gerryscomputertips.co.uk/MicrosoftCommunity1.htm

Gerry
Stourport-on-Severn, Worcestershire, England
Enquire Plan Execute

Sorry this didn't help.

All done - here is the link https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=B003C648C8567E7D%21173

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Echidnite,

Thank you for keeping us updated on the status of the issue.

I would suggest you to try following methods and check the issue.

Method 1:
Reset TCP/IP
Refer:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357

If it does not help, then use method 2.

Method 2:
Disable the DHCP Broadcast Flag
Refer:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928233

To resolve this issue, disable the DHCP BROADCAST flag in Windows 7. To do this, follow these steps:

a. Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then click regedit in the Programs list.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.

b. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{GUID}

c. In this registry path, click the (GUID) subkey that corresponds to the network adapter that is connected to the network.

d. On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD (32-bit) Value.

e. In the New Value #1 box, type DhcpConnEnableBcastFlagToggle, and then press Enter.

f. Right-click DhcpConnEnableBcastFlagToggle, and then click Modify.

g. In the Value data box, type 1, and then click OK.

h. Close Registry Editor.

By setting this registry key to 1, Windows 7 will first try to obtain an IP address by using the BROADCAST flag in DHCP Discover packets. If that fails, it will try to obtain an IP address without using the BROADCAST flag in DHCP Discover packets.

Note: Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/back-up-registry

I hope this information will be helpful.

Please let us know if you need any further assistance.

Thank you

Sorry this didn't help.

Your System Information file reveals these [Problem Devices]

Device PNP Device ID Error Code       

Photosmart C309a series         ROOT\MULTIFUNCTION\0000              This device is disabled.

USB20 Camera              USB\VID_045E&PID_00F4&MI_00\6&2EE93250&0&0000    The drivers for this device are not installed.         

Lexmark X422  ROOT\IMAGE\0000     This device cannot start.

Photosmart C309a series         ROOT\IMAGE\0001     This device is disabled.

Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter        {5D624F94-8850-40C3-A3FA-A4FD2080BAF3}\VWIFIMP\5&E229281&0&01           This device is disabled.

Please comment.

It appears from your System Information file and Event Viewer that you have a problem with Windows Update. Please comment.

What is your computer make and model? If not a branded computer what is your motherboard make and model?

Gerry
Enquire Plan Execute

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry for the slow response, it is difficult to find time to deal with this issue on top of work. 

Photosmart C309a series is a device I no longer have, so I guess the software is still working with no printer to connect to? I will uninstall everything involved with that printer. 

I disabled the Virtual Wifi miniport adapter myself when I was looking for network/wifi settings to change to try and fix the issue. It seemed unecessary so I disabled it, but I can turn it back on (this seems to have made no difference)

The USB camera is also a device that broke have and I thought I uninstalled the software for. I'll look into that. 

I haven't run windows update in a long time. I had to install Windows Movie Maker to do some quick editing, which apparently turned windows update on, and downloaded a huge number of updates. However somewhere in the 100+ updates it downloaded, when it tried to install them it would fail halfway through, and the next time I turned off my computer it would start again from the beginning to try to install them, and inevitably fail. As this took an incredibly long time and I sleep in the same room as my computer and tend to use it right up until I go to sleep, this was intolerable, so I turned off windows update and stopped it installing updates. 

My motherboard is an Asus p8Z77-V I think.

Ratandeep I will attempt your suggestions tomorrow. 

Sorry this didn't help.

Let's sort out your problem with windows update.

Select Start, All Programs, Windows Update, Change Settings. Under Important Updates is a box showing the current setting. Click on the Arrow down to the right and change the selection to “Check for Updates but let me choose whether to download and install them” and click on OK.

That will put you in charge and enables you to download in batches. You may get problematic updates failing to install. If that happens leave the update to later and we can look for a solution for those when the vast majority of updates are installed.

You should manually update by selecting Start, All Programs, Windows Update, Check for Updates. Check the boxes before the updates you want to install, click on Install and click again on Install in the next window and the process of installing starts. You should let the process proceed without interruption. Multi-tasking at the time updating is in progress is unwise. The progress window will tell you what is going on. You need to be patient.

You may have a single update that causes all in the batch to fail to install. If this occurs you should install one at a time so that you can find out which update is causing the problem. Manually installing and restarting your computer also allows you find out more quickly whether the problem is resolved. Automatic updating is a scheduled operation, which may execute up to 24 hours later.

Notes on using Windows Update:
http://www.gerryscomputertips.co.uk/WinUpdate1.htm

Gerry
Enquire Plan Execute

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Echidnite,

Thank you for your response.

I hope that suggestions help you.

Please keep us updated on the status of the issue.

Thank you

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for your help. I went through with Windows Update and got my computer up to date, it was time consuming! After that I tried Ratandeep's reset TCP/IP solution and it seems like it might have worked - its an intermittent problem so it's hard to say for sure, but for the last couple of days my internet connection has been behaving. If it occurs again, I'll try the DHCP broadcast flag solution. 

Sorry this didn't help.