Importing Outlook Express data folder into Outlook 2003 on Win7Pro box yields 'the mail folder could not be opened'

Copied data files from XP SP2 box to a USB drive..one of which was the Outlook Express folder containing OE data folders..inbox, sent, deleted..dbx. I do the import process in OL2003, select Import Internet Mail and Addresses, choose OE 4/5/6..select Import Mail and get 'mail folder could not be opened, if another program.......'

Any help would be appreciated. I am also using Microsoft Mail MAPI for 'in the building office email communication' aka Windows Messaging for NT...

Thank you in advance for any help you can lend.
|
Answer
Answer
Copied data files from XP SP2 box to a USB drive..one of which was the Outlook Express folder containing OE data folders..inbox, sent, deleted..dbx. I do the import process in OL2003, select Import Internet Mail and Addresses, choose OE 4/5/6..select Import Mail and get 'mail folder could not be opened, if another program.......'

Any help would be appreciated. I am also using Microsoft Mail MAPI for 'in the building office email communication' aka Windows Messaging for NT...

Thank you in advance for any help you can lend.

I'm not totally convinced that Outlook will import an OE store folder without OE actually present on the machine.
What you may have to do is to download and install a trial version of Office 2007 onto the XP machine, EXPORT from OE to Outlook, then copy the resultant pst file to your new Windows machine, open Outlook and do File-Open-Outlook Data File. DO NOT import it.
If you find my response helpful, please click on the "Vote as Helpful" button!Thank you! My Blog

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
GordonBP: You are correct.  Outlook, when importing e-mail from OE, will look for the active OE store in c:\documents and settings\[user]\...  Since that does not exist on Win7, the import process fails.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 25, 2018 Views 6,474 Applies to: