Q: ICS Error Code 765: Internet Connection Sharing cannot be enabled... This thread is locked from future replies

Alright, I keep getting this message whenever I try to share my internet through like an Ad-Hoc or anything else at all. "Cannot enable shared access.  Error 765 ICS cannot be enabled. A LAN connection is already configured with the IP address that is required for automatic IP addressing." Meaning I can't get like my xbox live or anything. Oh, I'm using a wireless internet card from our phone company, and it is installed on my father's identical laptop, and we share it through an ad-hoc when he is using it, would that be the problem?

Thanks for any help!

Copied from Richard at Yahoo answers. This worked for me.

"Internet Connection Sharing in Windows always assigns to the network adapter that is being used to connect other client devices that you want to share the connection to the Internet. For example, if you have an Ethernet cable connecting your computer to the Internet (to the router or modem), and a WiFi adapter that will provide a wireless network for other devices to connect to, then the WiFi adapter will be given the address 

However, if any other adapter (or adapters if there are more than two network interfaces on the computer) is using the sub-net, then the sharing will not work properly as you will have two adapters trying to use the same sub-net. 

The most likely cause is that you have a router between your computer and the Internet, and the router is set to use the sub-net. If this is the case, log on to the router and change its sub-net. For example, if the router is set to as its address, change it to Then reboot the router and the computer. 

If you had set up a static address on your computer for its Internet connection, you will have to make a similar change to the computer's addresses (IP address, gateway address and DNS address). If your computer uses DHCP to get its address, then it will automatically be updated when you reboot the computer."

Good luck.

I just switched my routers sub-net from to and sharing works fine now.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

1 person was helped by this reply

Question Info

Views: 20,902 Last updated: March 23, 2018 Applies to: