I receive a message, "your remote desktop connection failed because the remote computer cannot be authenticated" while using the Remote Desktop.

Original title : Remote Desktop Connection problem message "your remote desktop connection failed because the remote computer cannot be authenticated"

Can anybody help?

A few weeks ago Remote Desktop Connection was working find. Other people can connect to this remote server. But I cannot connect to this or any other Remote Desktop - so it is something that happened to my windows 7 settings.

I get the message: "remote desktop connection failed because the remote computer cannot be authenticated" and "your computer's settings do not allow connection to this remote computer because it cannot be identified".

On this MS diagnostic page:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Why-can-t-I-connect-using-Remote-Desktop-Connection

It talks about changing the Remote Desktop Connection's Options - Advanced tab and the Server Authentication - If server authentication fails. But this setting is not enabled so I cannot change it.

I have tried changing the group policy setting for "configure server authentication for client" to allow always connect but this does not seem to allow me to connect.

Nothing seems to work. How can I enable the "
If server authentication fails" to allow always connect?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Answer
Answer

Hi KcinDev,

Thank you for posting your question in Microsoft Windows Community.

From the issue description, it seems that you are facing issues with remote desktop connection with error message: “Your remote desktop connection failed because the remote computer cannot be authenticated".

The issue you posted would be better suited in the TechNet Forums for a proper resolution.

I would recommend posting your query in the below link.

Windows 7 Networking:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-us/w7itpronetworking/threads

I hope the above information helps you.

In future if you come across any issues regarding Windows, please feel free to post your query here on Microsoft Community, we will be more than happy to assist you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 21, 2020 Views 5,299 Applies to: