I am having issues sharing the usb printer between Windows XP and Windows 7

Here is a situation I am facing, there is USB printer which works only on a Windows XP machine,

there are other devices in LAN it is a Small Office Home Office environment.

How can this USB printer attached to Windows XP machine be shared so that other laptops or users in Network who have Windows 7 or Linux on their laptops can use this printer.

The printer model number is Canon Laser Shot LBP-1210 http://www.canon-europe.com/For_Home/Product_Finder/Printers/Laser/LaserShot_LBP1210/index.asp

print server is not available to me I need to make it work in this situation only.What can I do?

the clients are unable to connect to this.It is not a network or TCP/IP printer

If a from Windows 7 machine some one wants to use this printer so that he can take a print he gets an error while adding the printer to his machine which is a Windows 7 machine (where as the printer is USB printer on Windows XP machine)

Start--->Devices and Printers---> Add Printer---> Find Printer by name or IP address--->Selected a shared printer by name-->\\PC-Name-printer3

and select browse it gives a message Windows can not find a driver for Canon LASER SHOT LBP-1210 on the network what does this mean do I need to install some kind of software at client machine or on the machine where printer is present?

From the following link 

http://www.canon.co.uk/Support/Consumer_Products/products/printers/Laser/Laser_Shot_LBP1210.aspx?type=download&page=1 I download

choosing language English and OS version Windows 7,

NetSpot Device Installer v3.2.3(r3202) for Windows

Compatibility

Operating system(s): Windows 2008, Windows 2000, Windows 2003, Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP Language(s): English

Software

File version: v3.2.3(r32 File Size: 4.5 MB Downloads: n10a1mux_w_nsdi323_r3202.zi

Now this printer driver is not able to help the Windows 7 client machine to be able to connect to USB printer at Windows XP machine.

Did I do some thing wrong?Or I need to download some other driver at Windows 7 machine.

Also a when this printer is directly attached to Windows 7 laptop the windows driver update service after searching for a driver says unable to find driver for this printer.

Original title: sharing usb printer on Windows XP 32 bit to Windows 7 64 bit

Hi datatraveler2012,

I would have you post your query in the TechNet Forums as it caters to an audience of IT professionals.

Your query would be better addressed over there.

Refer the link-

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-us/category/w7itpro

Do get back to us if you have any queries pertaining to Windows in the future. We will be happy to help.

Thanks.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I tried posting on your link but it refuses to accept because my question has links and says my account is not verified please post the question on http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-us/category/w7itpro
 and give me a link here

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Assuming sharing is properly configured on the XP machine -
Install the printer on the Windows 7 machine using the Windows 7 driver.  You may be able to run this by selecting a temporary port like LPT1: or you may need to temporarily connect the printer by USB.

Then in the printers properties on the Win 7 computer, add a Local Port and set it to the network and printer share name per the syntax below.
\\XPPCNETNAME\PrinterShareName

Technician / Consultant

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Install the printer on the Windows 7 machine using the Windows 7 driver.  You may be able to run this by selecting a temporary port like LPT1: or you may need to temporarily connect the printer by USB.

This printer does not have a windows 7 driver.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Then you won't be able to use it from Windows 7.
Technician / Consultant

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Then you won't be able to use it from Windows 7.

Thanks for your help I think you are right this printer does not have a driver for Windows 7 64 bit (which is what I am trying to use) I found another thread similar to mine

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-hardware/canon-laser-shot-lbp-1210-driver-for-winodows-7/9431fdf2-d7a5-47e2-a528-7cafd8966473?tm=1356781465812

and it seems I have to give up.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 28, 2019 Views 906 Applies to: