I am getting error 0x0000000d when trying add a printer through my wireless network with my new laptop using Windows 7'

I am getting error 0x0000000d when trying add a printer through my wireless network with my new laptop using Windows 7.

Here is my network setup. The new laptop I am printing from is running Windows 7. My wireless router is a linksys W54G. The old laptop the printer is connected to is running Windows XP SP3. The printer is a Kodak ESP-3 AiO which is connected via USB port to the old laptop running XP SP3. My desktop is running XP SP2.

I can print from the desktop (XP SP2) through the wireless router and the old laptop (XP SP3) to the Kodak ESP-3 printer with no problem. My new laptop (Win 7) can see all the XP PCs and can access all the shared files. I have no problem sharing files between all 3 machines. I have installed the latest printer software and drivers on all 3 machines from the Kodak CD. I made sure the software was compatible with Win 7 and downloaded the latest driver for Windows 7 from the Kodak website.

I can print on the Kodak printer from my new laptop (Win 7) when I am connected directly to the printer using a USB port. The new laptop can see the Kodak printer which is connected (USB) to the old laptop through the wireless network but when I try to add the printer through the wireless network I get the error 0x0000000d.

To add the printer on my new laptop through the wireless network I clicked on "Add Printer", highlighted the printer (kodakesp) in the "Select A Printer" window, clicked on the next button, the "Windows Printer Installation" dialog box opens and says "connecting to kodakesp on old laptop" below that it says "finishing the installation", then the Add Printer error dialog box opens and says "Windows can not connect to the printer" under details it says "Operation failed with error 0x0000000d".

I searched Microsoft Knowledge base but could only find references to this error for Vista. No articles relating to Windows 7. I did check the registry key using regedit as was suggested in the Vista articles and it does not specify a drivername. The registry key is as follows: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environments\Windows NT x86\Drivers\Version-3\       The registry key tree ends at Version-3. When I double click Version-3 in the registry tree the window that opens shows the following:
name: (default)     type: REG_SZ     data: (value not set)
name: Directory     type: REG_SZ     data: 3
name: MajorVersion    type: REG_DWORD    data: 0x00000003  (3)
name: MinorVersion     type: REG_DWORD   data: 0x00000000  (0)

Can someone give me a complete walk thru with the exact steps to fix this problem ?? I only know enough to look at the registry keys and I know that one slight mistake in the registry can crash the machine. I am very hesitant to make any changes to the registry, if that is what is needed, but would consider doing so if I had a complete and through walk thru.

Are there any other methods to fix this issue ??  I have uninstalled and reinstalled the Kodak software including the drivers 3 times.
Answer
Answer

Hi aynrand,

Welcome to Microsoft Answers!

Try these steps and check if it helps:

1. Go to start and type in cmd in the search box.

2. Right click on cmd and select “Run as Administrator”.

3. Type this command net use LPT# \\server\printer /persistent:yes

Substitute #, server, printer as appropriate for your network.

Then add your printer locally using the LPT# port. If your laptop has no parallel cable then use LPT1.

Go through this thread for more solutions and ideas to solve this problem. It can be helpful to you:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/itprovistaprinting/thread/d02718d8-cf5d-45de-9206-46714a549ee0  

Open the printer troubleshooter:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Open-the-Printer-troubleshooter 

install a printer:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Install-a-printer

Regards,
Afzal-Microsoft Support.
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated July 21, 2020 Views 56,986 Applies to: