I am able to set up a homegroup on either of my PCs, the other is then unable to join the group.

HomeGroup problems

Hi

I have tried numerous times to set up a working Homegroup for my desktop PC and Laptop PC both running Windows 7 RC. Although I am able to set up a homegroup on either PC, the other is then unable to join the group. I have run the troubleshooters on both PC's without success. I have also made sure that network discovery was turned on. I even disabled my kaspersky firewall on both pcs and enabled the Windows firewall. Prior to installing Windows 7, I was able to remotely print from my laptop to the printer connected to my desktop pc. Now I am unable to do so. I would appreciate any assistance you can provide. Thanks.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Did you set the Homegroup Password? and is it the same on both machines?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi

Have you solved your Problem with joining the HomeGroup? I have exactly the same problem as you describe and can't find a solution.

Greetings an thanx in advance

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having a similar issue.

I have a laptop with Windows 7 RC installed and a desktop with a new installation of Windows 7 RC.

The Desktop detects that the homegroup created by the laptop is present, but it gives a very generic error when attempting to join (the computer is unable to join the homegroup)

Any solutions?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have exactly the same problem.  Laptop and Desktop both Windows 7.  McAfee shows network is OK and both are full access.  Worked with McAfee live chat for an hour, but they could not resolve problem.  Windows reports that McAfee controls the firewall, and it needs to give full access to both computers, which I believe is in place. 
I hope someone figures this out.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I had this problem and the solution was (in my case) the simplest possible! Check that the computer name is not the same on both computers. In my case both computers had the same default (ie. when you first set up the OS) name. e.g. Joe-PC I then changed the name on one of my computers (to say Joe-laptop-PC) and windows asked for a reboot. After reboot everything with homegroup worked OK!! Somehow homegroup (and the troubleshooter) must look at the name and if it is the same it thinks it is looking at the same pc!! This is obvously a BIG bug and almost unbelievable but as I said it worked when I changed one of the names.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same problem as you. i have been two days in front of my pc's trying to solve it but i can't. any help?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same problem as you. i have been two days in front of my pc's trying to solve it but i can't. any help?

Have you checked that you don't have the same name on both PCs? See my reply above. Open file manager goto computer (i.e. where you see your disc drives) right click and select properties. scroll down to computer name and see if both pcs have the same name? If so change the name of one of your computers and see if that cures this problem.
See this:
http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/31263-cannot-join-homegroup.html

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Same problem, however, I removed McAfee as my protection suite and loaded Microsoft Security Essentials and all my problems went away...For awhile. I was able to set up a homegroup on one computer and then join it from the laptop It worked fine. I made some program changes, nothing to do with networking,  But then the desktop lost the laptop but the laptop could still see the desktop then they both went away.  However I can still access shares from the network as both computers are still there. But the libraries and the homegroup are gone. I can not rejoin a homegroup from either computer Each one will not recognize the presence of the other. Thank goodness the network still works. but I am at a loss.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

NEW DEVELOPMENT - after umpteen times removing computers from homegroup and starting a new homegroup, I finally was allowed to join a homegroup. I did succeed to a point. I can see the computer that I joined but from that computer I can not see this compute . The laptop can see the desktop and so have access to it's libraries, which is better than the other way around. Still its frustrating

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Does Microsoft even read these forums because I am seeing no replies. I am having this problem too and no, my computers do not share the same "name". A laptop and a desktop, both running Win 7 ultimate and I keep getting "password is incorrect" messages. The password isn't incorrect. I have checked a dozen times now!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 14, 2018 Views 19,879 Applies to: