How to set up a network between Win 7 and XP

I have followed the excellent post on Sharing a printer on Windows 7 Vista network by Cappaj1. It has enabled me to set up a connection between my XP machine and my win 7 machine, but not the other way round. When I try to connect to my xp machine from my Win 7 one, I get asked for a password and everything stops. How do I work out the password, or is it possible to log in without one, as it is from xp to win7?
hwalker1

Question Info

Last updated September 4, 2018 Views 24,609 Applies to:
Answer
Hi Howard. Here's a doc that explains how to share files and printers on a network with various versions of Windows:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Networking-home-computers-running-different-versions-of-Windows

And here's another one -- same info, but different arrangement that might be a bit easier to parse:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/help/sharing-files-and-printers-with-different-versions-of-windows

It is possible to log on without a password, but it's less secure of course, so we don't recommend it. However, to do that, go to Advanced sharing settings in Control Panel (under Network and Sharing Center), and make sure Password protected sharing is turned OFF.

Gloria Boyer
Microsoft

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer

Hi Howard Walker,

Welcome to Microsoft Answers Forums.

This may mostly occur if on the Windows 7 computer password protected sharing is turned on.

Password-protected sharing is on by default for computers in workgroups. When password-protected sharing is turned on, people using other computers on your network can't access your shared folders or printers unless they have a user account on your computer.

• Turn off password-protected sharing. To turn off password-protected sharing, follow these steps:
  1. Open Advanced sharing settings by clicking the Start button, and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type network, click Network and Sharing Center, and then, in the navigation pane, click Change advanced sharing settings.
  2. Click to expand the current network profile.
  3. Under Password protected sharing, click Turn off password protected sharing, and then click save changes. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Why can't I connect to other computers?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Why-can-t-I-connect-to-other-computers

Halima S    - Microsoft Support.

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.