how to delete an orphaned folder in Homegroup in Windows 7 Home

[Already a thread like this here - but didn't answer my question]

I can't delete an orphaned share folder in Homegroup in a 2nd computer [Win 7 Home 64] linked to my main computer[Win 7 Ultimate 32-bit].

The share references a folder "movies" on the main puter, which is not there  - & I'm not sure how the share occurred.

I tried creating such a folder on the main puter - but that just produced a  "movies2" in Homegroup -  *and* in Network. So I deleted that folder, and I'm back with just my orig. orphaned "movies" folder in Homegroup.

I've tried various suggestions googled here & elsewhere - e.g. looking for Share refs. in regedit, running net share from cmd - but none of them have worked at all.

The reason - I believe - deleting the orphan folder is important, is that I have two further problems - when I try playing movies in the main puter through Network or Homegroup via the 2nd computer,  it takes forever to open them (while a green line streaks ever so slowly across the top of Explorer) - and then they won't play properly or at all.  I'm assuming the computer is trying to locate that movies share (?).

In addition, although I could at least open my other (non-orphaned) shared folder in Homegroup,I now *can't*  - it gives me "unable to access \\Mike-pc\Downloads ".

So my Network/Homegroup LAN/wired connections between the two puters are a general mess.

Any ideas what I can do?   [This all seems absurdly difficult - I've wasted much time on it]

Many thanks
|
Hi,

Have you made any changes to the computer prior to this issue?

To Locate movies folder:
I would suggest you to try this method and check.

To fix accessing sharing issue:
I would suggest you to run the troubleshooter mentioned in the link below.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Open-the-HomeGroup-troubleshooter

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Ganesh,

Many thx for reply.

Current situation:

*last night -  on MIKE2-PC, Network opened with "movies" share reappearing, & *couldn't* play anything on MIKE-PC

*today - (twice now) - MIKE2-PC opened **without* "movies" share,  & *could* play vid files

BUT at all times, Homegroup still had "movies" folder, (which shows up as on MIKE-PC under Properties),  and still can't open the "Downloads" folder for MIKE-PC ("Unable to access  \\MIKE-PC\Users\Downloads)

So I'd like still to cure this, because I think all the problems will recur otherwise.

My Actions:

Tried your suggestions. Made folders visible - nothing. Tried Fixit progs for Homegroup & folders..       The folders Fixit fixed "Icons randomly changing" "Recycle bin corrupted & something like "View customizations for folder". Tried Homegroup troubleshooter (already done this quite a lot) - nothing.

I'd already turned on Network discovery etc for Homegroup sharing options - only thing I havent tried is switching from Windows control to User Account control or whatever.

Thx again - but any further suggestions?

One possible clue - when VLC can't play files, it doesn't close properly - have to use procexp. And today XMBC had problems closing (unusually) - although Windows eventually managed it. But that didn't stop Network playing vids again.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Ganesh,

Just to avoid any pos. confusion,  "Network" has no probs accessing the "Downloads" folder on MIKE-PC, that "Homegroup" **can't* access.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

hi

back again - I still have the same problem

the "movies" share has **reappeared** in  "Network"  (as well as still being in "Homegroup") -

so once again I can't play any files on the main MIKE-PC ...

and I still don't know how to delete this orphan share

any ideas?

puh -lease?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi rafarafa1,

Method –

I would have you perform the steps mentioned by “Oberwald” from the article mentioned below-

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-networking/cannot-delete-homegroup-network-share/a7989bf7-68f7-4d34-b8af-94a84c31ba25

Hope this helps!!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thx for reply. But None of those suggestions worked.   The one that did (can't remember where I saw it) -  was to create a "movies" folder [the undeletable folder} on a usb disk on the main puter  - and then click "Share with nobody".

The folder then disappeared from both computers' Network's.

BUT that still did not cure my main problem - wh. is I still cannot open movie files (or rarely) - as I describe above

and I don't know whether it's that these two versions of Win 7 aren't talking to each other properly or that it's something to do with my Virigin Superhub router..

I don't think it can be just the router -

any idea what other factor[s] could make it so difficult to open movie files - and then, after,  to close down VLC and WMP ?  (or even how to classify/title the problem?) [It's not just movie files - even a 40k text file will only open after something like a minute)

Thx

Mike

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi rafarafa1,

Method-

I would have you refer the article mentioned below-

Getting started with media streaming

Note: Remote media streaming isn't available on Windows 7 Starter and Windows 7 Home Basic.

Hope this helps!!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thx for suggestions. (BTW 2nd PC has Win Home Premium 64-bit)

So I changed WMP on both computers as suggested, AND left and rejoined Homegroup on both.

Now I can see and begin to access folders and files on both Homegroup and Network, (whereas before I couldn't access Homegroup on the main PC from the 2nd).

And the first time I tried, I could actually play movies in both!

However, the next time I tried - same deal -  I *couldn't* play them - same taking forever to open. And then VLC and WMP were both v. difficult to close down. And just now, Win Explorer crashed afterwards.

This occurred again just now - this time I made sure to leave 10 mins. from starting the 2nd puter - just in case I was trying to open stuff too soon. Made no difference.

And once this happs, the whole session on either PC is lost to further media streaming -  I can play a movie from the usb stick for two hours, and try again to play through Homegroup/Network and it's just as bad as before.

Any further ideas?  [My God, it's difficult to get this streaming working!]

Thx again

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi rafarafa1,

I would recommend you to perform Clean Boot on one of the machines.

Putting your system in Clean Boot state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue. You need to follow the steps from the article to perform a Clean Boot-

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7

Note: You need to follow Step 7 from the article to get the computer back to Normal Startup after performing all the troubleshooting steps.

Hope this helps!!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

What is likely going to solve this (based on my experience with older operating systems) is deleting the cache of the homegroup links and rebuilding. The question is - where is that information stored, so it can be manually deleted since microsoft is having significantly greater occurrences of being unable to clean up their own mess. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 13, 2018 Views 1,248 Applies to: