how make win 7 to prefer wired over wireless connections

I have 2 internet connection in my laptop. wired and wireless. Win 7 prefer the wireless over the wired although wired connection has lower metric. How can I make win 7 to prefer wired over wireless connections?
|
Answer
Answer
When we first started issuing Win7 laptops, the driver for the onboard Intel NIC had a function that would disable the wireless NIC when it detected a wired connection.  With our next iteration of laptop rollouts, that functionality is no longer available.

I've seen paid, 3rd-party apps available from anywhere between US$10-99 that provide that same functionality, but I don't see rolling that out to over 200 laptops.  This should be a basic function of the OS.

I'm off the soapbox now, thanks.

--
Robb

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

The absolute best way to ensure that you will always connect wired, and not wirelessly is to turn off the wireless functionality on your computer. Just note that you will have to turn it back on if you ever want/need to use wireless internet.

To enable or disable the wireless on your computer: Click START, then Contorl Panel, then Device Manager. Right click on the Wireless network Adapter and click Disable.

To turn it back on, just click the same spot, which should now read Enable.

1 person found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated January 30, 2021 Views 26,383 Applies to: