How do I share the root of a hardrive in Win7?

I am able to share a folder, but cannot share the root of a hardrive. Homegroup is off.  Also, even though I have password protection set to 'OFF' I still get prompted for it from the XP computers on the network, but not the Vista computers. Odd?

The Win7 computers have full access to the C:\ root on Vista and XP networked machines. But, on the Win7 computers the C:\ root is blocked. How do I open drives for full access. I have been working with permissions in fsmgmt.msc without any luck. What is going on. It should not be this difficult.

I have multiple hardrives with hundreds of directorys and would have to share each one individually. There must be a way around this?
Answer
Answer
Why does everyone assume that the implications of sharing the root of a drive are unknown. I get it. I understan it. But, yes.... I want to share the root of my drives. It is like a big giant microsoft diaclaimer everytime I hear it.

So I figured it out. Finally!!!!!

OK, this is the problem with Windows 7: I had ownership of the drive on the local machine (default), but that is not enough. I had to give "everyone" ownership of the drive for other computers to access it. That means logging-in through the network from another machine to the Win7 computer, you have ownership as "everyone" and therefore, permission to access the drive.

So, here is what I did. Right click on the hardrive from windows explorer. Go to properties. Click on Security. Click edit. Add "everyone" to the group and assign the permissions you want. Then go to sharing and share the drive as you would normally. The root of the drive will now be accessible over the network.

I understand it now, but this is very poorly explained in every document I read. I spent hour researching this and can't understand why MS has made it so diffucult to share a drive over a network. Totally absurd.

Hope this helps out others trying to do the same thing. In a small home network, It is very common/necessary to share multiple drives at the c:\ root.

22 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 31, 2020 Views 20,789 Applies to: