Question

Q: How do I manually remove a corrupted, hidden, wireless network adapter from "Network Connections" in Windows 7?

I need to manually locate and remove a hidden network device in Windows 7.  The device is called "Wireless Network Connection" but is not listed in the Network Connections.  The reason I know its there is when I try to rename "Wireless Network Connection 2" to "Wireless Network Connection" I receive an error that the connection already exists, even though the device has been uninstalled and is not listed.  I have to remove this connection because it is totally corrupted and preventing any wireless connectivity with a red X in the system tray.  The adapter is working fine on another machine.  I've tried viewing hidden devices in Device Manager but that did not work.

Answer

A:

Open a command line window and type the following two lines:

set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1
start devmgmt.msc

In this Special Device Manager Window; on the menu, click View then Show Hidden Devices

The unwanted devices will appear dimmed. You can right-click on them from there and uninstall them.

Then go back to  your network center and rename your adapters to what you want without the # sign.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

66 people were helped by this reply

Question Info

Views: 80,335 Last updated: July 21, 2018 Applies to: