How do i make a shared folder when i have windows 7 and the other person has windows xp.

MY problem is that i want to make a shared folder on my computer so that when my boyfriend who has windows xp downloads stuff on his computer that he can add it into my shared folder on the network and it will be on my hard drive. i have tried the homegroup option but it doesnt seem to work. i can see his folder but he can not see mine. any ideas?
Answer
Answer

Hi katielee

Welcome to Microsoft Answers Forum!

To share folder homegroup is the best option, try these methods and check if you are able to share folder

1.     Make sure public folder sharing is turned ON, on both the computers. Follow the steps listed below in the link to check the settings and essentials to share file on network: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/File-sharing-essentials   

As you are trying to share files and folders with different operating system, check this link for the settings: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Networking-home-computers-running-different-versions-of-Windows  

2.     Make sure Network discovery is turned on and both the computer. Steps to follow:

i.      Open Control Panel window

ii.     Select Network and Sharing Center

iii.    Select change advanced sharing settings

iv.    Under network discovery, select turn On network discovery

3.     Disable any third party anti-virus installed on your computer and even the firewall. If the issue resolves after disabling the anti-virus, you might need to check the settings with the anti-virus or uninstall and re install it back.

Thanks and Regards:

Samhrutha G S - Microsoft Support.

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated September 25, 2018 Views 38,189 Applies to: