• July 17, 2017
    Announcement: New site design for Microsoft Community

In July, Microsoft will roll out the first of ongoing site improvements aimed to modernize Microsoft Community and help customers get the most out of their community experience.

• During the roll out period, you may see the old or new site design depending on your location

• We expect the roll out to finish by 31 July

Note: Past private message conversations will not move to the new site design. Please save any private messages you would like to keep.

Learn more about the upcoming site improvements in this thread.

Thank you for being part of Microsoft Community!

Question

How do backup a Windows 7 Machine to a Network attached Drive (WD Worldbook) -- using the Windows backup utility?

vanbreed asked on
When I use the tool, it only lists a DVD drive as an option to backup, it does not find the network drive (and the tool does not seem to give you an option to search for it manually -- just has a refresh button). Any help would be great.
51 people had this question

Abuse history

The answered status icon Answer
glsurratt replied on

ISTR that you have to purchase Windows 7 Ultimate or above to backup to a network share using the installed backup program.  The Windows 7 Home series won't do networked backups.

1 person found this helpful

Abuse history

Most Helpful Reply
Mr Z in Alaska replied on

just found this handy solution on another forum trying to slove the same problem. It comes from a user named Tech Michael

I realize this is an old post, but still a relevant topic. Windows 7 Home Premium *CAN BE BACKED UP TO NETWORK* via the following work-around:

Disk Management > Create VHD (Virtual Hard Drive) on the NETWORK

Attach/Mount VHD (automatic upon creation) > Initial & Assign local drive letter

Backup to VHD saved on the network.

My VHD is set to automatically expand as needed which I realize will eventually overrun the network storage, but I can always manage backups manually.

Hope that helps!!!

Michael

74 people found this helpful

Abuse history

progress