How can I share files between Win 7 Pro and a Mac with OSX?

I've got Windows 7 Professional and my colleague has got a Mac with OSX installed. We are physically on the same room, sharing a wifi connection. How can we share files among both computers? What does each one have to do on his computer?

If you will be posting links, please do check beforehand that the actual procedure for the mac is there. I have found in the internet either procedures for old Win Systems or network procedures only among Win 7 PCs.

Mosh
Answer
Answer
Sure, you can do this easily. In fact, setting up sharing on Win7 Ult. was almost as easy as it is in OS X. ;-) I do find that Snow Leopard has the same bugginess about showing Windows machines only randomly in the Sharing section of Finder as it did in Leopard, though. I usually connect to the Windows machines by opening a Finder window and using Go>Connect to server>smb://Windows-computer-name instead. On the Win7 box I have the Network icon on the Desktop (you can get this from Personalize>Change Icons).

On OS X, make sure you have File sharing ticked in System Preferences>Sharing. Click the Options button and select "Share files and folders using SMB". Add shared directories as desired.

You must create matching user accounts/passwords on both the Mac and Windows 7. You do not need to be logged into the same account on all machines and the passwords assigned to each user account can be different; the accounts/passwords just need to exist and match on all machines. DO NOT NEGLECT TO CREATE PASSWORDS, EVEN IF ONLY SIMPLE ONES . If you wish a machine to boot directly to the Desktop in Win7 (into one particular user's account) for convenience, you can do this.

Start>Search box>type: netplwiz [enter]
Click on Continue (or supply an administrator's password) when prompted by UAC

Uncheck the option "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer". Select a user account to automatically log on by clicking on the desired account to highlight it and then hit OK. Enter the correct password for that user account (if there is one) when prompted. Leave it blank if there is no password (null).

You will find the automatic logon options for OS X in System Preferences>Accounts.

On Win7, go to Control Panel>All Control Panel Items>Network and Sharing Center. Click on "Change advanced sharing settings". You do not want to be using Homegroup.

Turn ON network discovery
Turn ON file and printer sharing
Turn ON sharing in the Public folder sharing section
Turn ON password protected sharing

Configure firewalls on all machines to allow the Local Area Network (LAN) traffic as trusted. With Windows Firewall, setting File and Printer Sharing ON will take care of this for those machines and if you aren't running a third-party firewall or have an antivirus/security program with its own firewall component, then you're fine.  With third-party firewalls, I usually configure the LAN allowance with an IP range. Ex. would be 192.168.1.0-192.168.1.254. Obviously you would substitute your correct subnet. Refer to any third party security program's Help or user forums for how to properly configure its firewall. Do not run more than one firewall. DO NOT TURN OFF FIREWALLS; CONFIGURE THEM CORRECTLY .

The OS X Firewall settings are in System Preferences>Security. Click the lock to make changes and click the Advanced button to make sure SMB Sharing is allowed. If you set it up in the Sharing module, it will be.

On Win7, create shares as desired. I usually just share the Public folder, users' desktops, and any additional data hard drives in the system.

MS-MVP - Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated November 16, 2019 Views 47,756 Applies to: