Error 651: The modem (or other connecting device) has reported an error"

A friend of mine recently bought a Packard Bell PC running Windows 7. Unfortunately, she has not been able to get it to connect to the Internet. A message is displayed stating "Error 651: The modem (or other connecting device) has reported an error". The Network Troubleshooter also states the "Local Area Connection" is experiencing driver or hardware related problems

I have read various articles suggesting that I copy across raspppoe.sys from a Vista PC, delete Microsoft Virtual PC 2007, etc. I have tried all of these today, but none of them work. We are now at our wit’s end and my friend and her young daughter are now in floods of tears

Before I pack up the PC and ask for a refund from the retailer, do you know of any way we can get this machine connected up to the internet? The Internet supplier is Virgin in the UK and we are using a Belkin 54g cable router. By the way, my Vista laptop and another friend’s XP netbook connect straight away without any trouble at all

Thanks

Question Info

Last updated August 18, 2018 Views 142,492 Applies to:
Answer

Hey Chris,

Before you pack your PC and ask for a refund, I'd suggest you give the below methods one last try. Copied it from another link in the same forum.

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7network/thread/9dad24b2-52fb-47c8-b65e-dac29b54cfd1/

Method 1: Uninstall and reinstall the Modem

a.    Go to Start > Control panel > Phone and Modem.

b.    Check if correct modem is installed. If not then remove modem. Refer: Install or remove a modem

c.    Restart the computer.

d.    Re-install the modem. Refer the article above.

Method 2: Reset TCP/IP

If you still getting the same problem,  then you may reinstall TCP/IP components.

Click on the Fix it from Microsoft Knowledge Base article: How to reset Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)   to reset TCP/IP.

Method 3: Install latest modem driver.

Please check the modem manufacturer’s website for the latest driver update. Install the update and see if there’s any go.

For driver updates, refer this link:

Update a driver for hardware that isn't working properly

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Update-a-driver-for-hardware-that-isnt-working-properly

For more help, I'd recommend getting in touch with your ISP provider.

Girls. You never know what they're going to think.

12 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer

Hi Chris753,

In addition to the poster 'Good_girl_gone_bad', you may try the below troubleshooting steps:

Step 1:

Let’s put the computer in a Clean Boot state and then check for the issue.

Putting your system in clean boot state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue. If yes, you may have to contact the program manufacturer for any updates or uninstall and re-install the program.

Refer the following Microsoft KB article for more information on how to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7:

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Step 2:

You may try uninstalling and re-install the latest drivers for your Network adapter.

a. Open Device Manager by clicking the Start button, then typeDevice Manager in the search box.‌

b.  If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

c. Look for the Network adapter option, right click on it and selectUninstall.

d. Reboot the computer.

e. Once you boot the computer, update the latest drivers for your Network adapter from the manufacturer’s website.

Access the below link for more information on updating drivers:
Update drivers:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Update-drivers-recommended-links 

Hope this helps.
Regards,
Manasa P – Microsoft Support.

9 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.