Either the Peer Name Resolution Protocol service (PNRPsvc) or the Peer Networking Identity Manager service (p2pimsvc) is not running

I get the following error  message when running windows network diagnostics. I ran the diagnostic because I have a network with Win 7 Ultimate  64 bit on one computer and WinXP 32 bit on the other.  Strangely enough I can easily see and manipulate through the winXP firewall all files. The other way, WinXP can not see the files on Win7. I can drag files to the shared folder, XP can see them but can not open them even when I allow sharing using Win7.  I can see the Win7 computer name and I have an open home network without passwords. When I click on the folder with XP, the grey popup error box says I may not have permissions to access these files. Contact the systems administrator etc. My network has the same name on both computers so I feel completely betrayed by what is going on here. There should be no problem yet there is one. 

I get this error message when running windows network diagnostics:

Either the Peer Name Resolution Protocol service (PNRPsvc) or the Peer Networking Identity Manager service (p2pimsvc) is not running The Peer Networking Grouping service (p2psvc) depends on both these services in order to function properly

I have followed the following advice to no avail:

·                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     To find out which of the services are/aren't running Click on the start orb and type Services into the search box at the bottom of 

the menu. Select Services from the results.

Check the Status and Startup type columns for "Started" and "Manual"

Right click any that aren't running and select Properties from the menu.
Click on the Startup type box and select Manual from the menu, then click Apply, then OK at the bottom of the window.
Now try Start the service from the option in the main window.
Try the HomeGroup connection, if the service(s) start

Try a reboot if all is well. The settings may or may not stick!

Scroll down till you see the following.........

Select Services from the results.

Question Info

Last updated August 6, 2019 Views 22,767 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hi MarkWebber,

Method 1: I would suggest you to follow this below provided link to start your computer in safe mode with networking.

Advanced startup options including safe mode

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Advanced-startup-options-including-safe-mode

If it works fine in safe mode with networking, try putting your system in clean boot state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue. If yes, you may have to contact the program manufacturer for any updates or uninstall and re-install the program.

Refer the following Microsoft KB article for more information on how to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7:

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: After troubleshooting, make sure to put the computer to start as usual as mentioned in Step 7 in the above KB article.

Method 2: Researched the problem and found the solution. A file was corrupted and deleting it got the PNRP service running. The file was recreated correctly when the PNRP service started up. Here's the file for future reference:

"C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Roaming\PeerNetworking\idstore.sst"

Hope this information is helpful.

24 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.