• July 17, 2017
    Announcement: New site design for Microsoft Community

In July, Microsoft will roll out the first of ongoing site improvements aimed to modernize Microsoft Community and help customers get the most out of their community experience.

• During the roll out period, you may see the old or new site design depending on your location

• We expect the roll out to finish by 31 July

Note: Past private message conversations will not move to the new site design. Please save any private messages you would like to keep.

Learn more about the upcoming site improvements in this thread.

Thank you for being part of Microsoft Community!

Question
1 view

DNS caching problem

SGLSupport asked on

Hi

I have a company network with 2 internal dns servers on 192.168.0.7 and 192.168.0.9.

Using DHCP.

2 problem Win7 clients.

When I run ipconfig /all on both it shows both DNS servers as expected 

We have a corporate server on AWS and it's IP address changed on Monday during a restart.

Shouldn't have but it did, so we are stuck with a new public facing DNS name for that server, so we updated the friendly CNAME record to point to the new address.

18 of our 20 internal clients, including Win7, 8 and 10 clients and Mac and Linux clients are all finding the corporate server now using the original friendly name.

But 2 Win7 clients are still not getting there.

On both, if we run

nslookup <friendly.domname.com>

It returns the name of of our primary internal DNS server (as nameserver) and the NEW IP address of the host address

So it seems that the client's base OS DNS lookup returns the correct IP.

If I paste that IP into either chrome or Internet Explorer, I get the correct website.

However, if I enter <friendly.domname.com> into either browser (and Firefox) a different website appears.

I can in Chrome test the dns resolver using chrome://net-internals/#dns which returns a list of addresses in chromes internal cache.

And I can flush that browser dns cache by clicking the "clear host cache" button

If I then try the same <friendly.domname.com> again, the cache list is re-populated with a bunch of urls accessed including

friendly.domname.com IPV4
<old.ip.add.ress>
3600000 2017-07-12 16:03:48.836 677

Which seems to indicate that the old ip address is now reused on the cloud and somehow the browser is overriding the settings in the actual DNS to resolve to a cached version.

In IE we have tried deleting history and cookies without effect. 

Not sure if there is a facility to do something similar on IE to what Chrome does with DNS.

But ALL browsers on these 2 machines are still looking at the old ip address despite DNS saying something else.

How do I flush the entire machine and start from scratch dns-wise?

Thanks

2 people had this question

Abuse history

The answered status icon Answer
Leviozar Gam replied on

Hi,

This issue needs in-depth checking by our experts . We suggest that you post this query in one of our advance support site. You can reach them on this link.

Feel free to contact us if you need further help.

Regards.

Be the first person to mark this helpful

Abuse history

progress