Dell mini 10v with Windows 7 home premium won't connect to home Wifi network; "Unidentified network, no network access". Computer says it is connected with "Limited access"; no internet.

My Dell mini 10v netbook running Win 7 Home Premium will not connect to my home wifi network. It looks as if it is connected, but labels the connection as an "Unidentified network, No network access" and says I have "Limited Access".
- Drivers are up to date.
- Other laptop running XP has no problem connecting to the same router.
- Computer is already obtaining IP addresses automatically.

Help please!

Question Info

Last updated March 13, 2018 Views 1,757 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hi MTBrennan,

Welcome to Microsoft Windows Forum.

I will suggest you to follow the methods mentioned below:

Method 1:

Step 1: I will suggest you to use the Network troubleshooter and check if you come across the same problem.

Using the Network troubleshooter in Windows 7
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Using-the-Network-troubleshooter-in-Windows-7

If Step 1 doesn’t help, I will suggest you to disable security software and check if you are able to connect.

Method 2:

I will suggest you to restart the computer in safe mode with networking and check if you are able to connect to the Internet.

You may follow the steps mentioned below:

1.       Remove all floppy disks, CDs, and DVDs from your computer, and then restart your computer.
Click the Start button, click the arrow next to the Lock button, and then click Restart.
2.       Do one of the following:
•         If your computer has a single operating system installed, press and hold the F8 key as your computer restarts. You need to press F8 before the Windows logo appears. If the Windows logo appears, you will need to try again by waiting until the Windows logon prompt appears, and then shutting down and restarting your computer.
•         If your computer has more than one operating system, use the arrow keys to highlight the operating system you want to start in safe mode, and then press F8.
3.       On the Advanced Boot Options screen, use the arrow keys to highlight the safe mode with networking option you want, and then press ENTER. Log on to your computer with a user account that has administrator rights.
To exit safe mode with networking, restart your computer and let Windows start normally.

You may also try to reinstall the drivers for network adapters.

You may follow the steps mentioned below to reinstall the network adapters:

1)      Click Start, type devmgmt.msc and press enter.
2)      Expand network adapters and right click on the sub item and click uninstall.
3)      Restart the computer.
4)      Visit the laptop manufacturer website and download the latest driver.

You may visit the link mentioned below:
http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&ServiceTag=&SystemID=INSPIRON10V&os=WW1&osl=en&catid=&impid

5)      Install the driver and restart the computer for the changes to take effect.

Hope this information is helpful.

Regards,
Sujan – Microsoft Support
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.