Constant disconnects from my wireless

I have two computers one is my old Windows XP machine and it works fine no issues at all with connecting or staying connected to the internet. My Windows 7 laptop however is constantly lossing signal for a few seconds which makes it so I cant play online games as I get disconnected from them all the time. There are times where I can go for a few hours without issue than there are times where I cant do anything with the internet for hours as its constantly lossing connection.

Wireless internet card is Atheros ar5b93 just updated to the newest drivers two days ago to see if that would fix the issue it did not.

I use a 2wire wireless modem

Question Info

Last updated December 23, 2018 Views 3,235 Applies to:
Answer

Hi Lendaanx,

The following suggestion may be worth looking at to troubleshoot intermittent internet connection.  

1.    First, try running the Network troubleshooter to see if it can help diagnose and solve your problem.

Refer: 

Using the Network troubleshooter in Windows 7
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Using-the-Network-troubleshooter-in-Windows-7

2.    Unplug your modem. Wait one minute, and then plug your modem back in again.

3.    Reset your router. Most routers can be reset with a simple procedure that varies little from product to product. However you should check your manual and the vendor's support site to make sure.

Note: This will remove all previously configured settings. Once the router has gone through the restore it will then begin the reboot.  When the reboot completes plug the power back into your modem.

This addresses a common scenario where the router has been connected to the Internet for an extended period and holds an IP address (DHCP lease) for a longer period of time than your Internet Service Provider (ISP) allows.

4.    Update router firmware. Updated router firmware often can fix frequent internet disconnects.

5.    Visit the router manufacturer’s support section and check if there’s any firmware update for your product.

6.    Another reason you may be getting disconnected is the firmware and drivers for your modem are outdated or corrupted. Please visit the manufacturer’s website http://support.2wire.com/ for latest updates. For further help, see: Update drivers: recommended links

7.    Disable all your security software and check. If the issue disappears with the firewall/antivirus disabled, then you might need to change certain configuration settings within the firewall to isolate the issue.  

8.    Slow internet connection can eventually lead to internet disconnect. Refer this article for ways to speedup internet connection.

Why is my Internet connection so slow?

Note: Running the computer without firewall or the anti-virus software is a potential threat to the computer; make sure to enable the security software after completing the troubleshooting steps and after identifying the issue.

Regards,

Shinmila H - Microsoft Support

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.