Connect VPN Before User Logon in Domain Environment

I took on an overwhelming project but succeeded in setting up a complete network for a non-profit organization.  Only one hurdle remains but the answer is completely alluding me.

I have set up a Windows 7 Ultimate in a test environment.  The server is 2012 Standard and is physically located off site.  I have successfully configured VPN and can connect, but one limitation remains . . . 

THE SITUATION

. . . the computer I am preparing in the production environment will have users and will be on the domain.  They shut down the computer at night and on the weekends.  During my testing I have found that VPN does NOT connect automatically.  I do not want any of the users at this remote location having access to the local desktop any longer.  Everyone needs to be signing on with their domain credentials only, and I'll be locking down the local desktop with changed credentials.

Using Google, I have found many ways to supposedly automate VPN logon, but every article I have read so far says that this happens as a script at Windows logon.  That defeats the purpose here.  I wish the VPN to be connected at start-up, BEFORE logon, so that the users may immediately sign onto the domain after powering up the computer.  I had considered just offering a directive to leave the PC on 24/7, however in case of crash or regular Windows Updates, that would put us back at square one.

THE REQUEST

Can I make it so that VPN connects automatically BEFORE a user log onto a desktop?

THE SPECS

Clients are on Windows 7 Ultimate Edition
VPN Connection configured in windows (no third party software)
Windows Server 2012 with Active Directory server-side

Before anyone says, yes I know Server 2012 has something called DirectAccess, however even though it is installed, it is not an option with my setup as I am not going to drag desktop PCs across town to connect them to the Domain when I can use VPN just as easily without risking hardware damage.

I appreciate any answers, and look forward to solving this.  It must be possible, as I hear of corporations doing this all the time for satellite facilities.  Have a great night :)
Answer
Answer

Hello Christopher,

The issue you have posted is related to Virtual Private Network (VPN) and the right place for you to contact would be TechNet support.

I would suggest you to check with TechNet support for more information.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-us/newthread?category=windowsserver&forum

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated November 23, 2023 Views 2,313 Applies to: