can't turn on network discovery and media streaming in windows 7

i recently reinstalled windows 7 because... well it was long over due, had my laptop for about 3 years now and still had the original install on it. But this time around every time when i try to turn on my network discovery it keeps turning itself off and in my home group when i click on choose media streaming options and try to turn on media streaming it dose nothing, i have looked on about 20-25 different sites/forums and followed the guide on there I.E turn on and set to automatic
       o Computer Browser
       o DHCP Client
       o DNS Client
       o Network Connections
       o Network Location Awareness
       o Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
       o Server
       o TCP/IP Netbios helper
       o Workstation
and a few others that i found like turn on Function Discovery Provider Host but still nothing, even uninstalled my A / V AVG, turned off my firewall altogether and also tried going into safe mode with networking, i've tried leaving my home group and rejoining it, tried changing active network from home to work and even public but still no good.

I mainly use this feature to stream music from my laptop to my Xbox while i play games but if my Xbox can't locate my laptop then i cant stream the music, using windows media centre works i can stream music, videos pictures etc that way but thats about it which isn't of any real use for me.
My laptop is a fujitsu Siemens i have a wireless connection with both my laptop and Xbox but have tried Wired, the Xbox can find my mothers laptop ok, she can't find my laptop either. 
Im at the end of my rope here i really don't know what else to do other than to reinstall my windows hoping it to work which i would really like to avoid specially if it still don't work.

Question Info

Last updated March 12, 2019 Views 28,513 Applies to:
Answer
Right i found out how to turn on my network discovery and media streaming, i solved this when tried to leave my home group and it wouldn't let me so googled it and i found this link http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/23571-cant-leave-homegroup.html where it told me to check 
Base Filtering Engine
DNS Client
Function Discovery Provider Host
Function Discovery Resource Publication
HomeGroup Listener
HomeGroup Provider
Server
SSDP Discovery
UPnP Device Host 
Windows Firewall

in services, the only 1s that wasn't started and set to automatic was Function Discovery Provider Host & Upnp Device Host so i changed it restarted now my settings get saved, left the home group and every think works ok.
So maybe add the extra 1s in this list in the standard reply that gets sent out for these matters.

Thanks anyway for the help.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.