Can't access windows XP share from windows 7 machines.

I have a windows XP computer on my home network that has for a long time been used as a mass storage server. I have several terabytes in there and its all raid 1 and backed to external up for extra data protection. Problem is that all of a sudden I stooped being able to access its shares from any windows 7 computer.  I have 3 other computers. Two of them run W7 and a laptop that runs XP. The XP laptop can still access the shares and the both W7 machines used to be able to access it just fine. Both W7 machines stopped working at the exact same time. That tells me its either some setting changed on the server that W7 doesn't like, or a W7 update was pushed down and changed the way it networks. 

I can still see the computer on the network, it's pingable by both by IP and host name. I just can't access the share. It ask for a password but then doesn't accept the credential that I KNOW are right and have always used to access it.   I've even went to far as to log onto the "server" and add a new user gave full permissions under both the NTFS file permissions tab and the sharing permissions tab.  I've even added "everyone" and "guest" both with full permissions and it still won't let W7 get to its files. 

I'm actually pretty knowledgeable in this as I do IT and networking for a living, I just don't have W7 in my work environment so not that experienced with the nuances of how it networks. 

I've looked online for tutorials but they ALL seem focused on accessing W7 "home groups" from XP which is not what I need at all.

|
Answer
Answer
If any one cares to know the solution it was that the date on my server some how got changed..... apparently this prevents Win7 from authentication.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 25, 2020 Views 7,385 Applies to: