Cannot set automatically assigned IP address in Windows 7 on a wired network

I am currently in the process of changing computers in my office network to a wired connection rather than the wireless one we previously used. The majority of these computers have been Windows 7 x64 and have handled the connection beautifully, automatically obtaining an IP address and causing no problems.

With some computers I have discovered that there is a very strange problem. While connected through their wireless adapters (these are universally USB wireless devices) they can connect to our network just fine. When I connected them to the wired connection, they simply would not connect. I checked the TCP/IP settings and discovered a previously saved manual configuration for the adapter. I set this to automatically obtain an IP address and made sure DHCP was enabled, but the system prompted me to restart the computer before it could make changes. I allowed it to do so and when it had restarted, I found that the manual configuration was back. Nothing I could do, apart from uninstalling the adapter and reinstalling it could remove these configuration details. Even then, it would not properly connect to the network and obtain an address through DHCP, but rather received some kind of strange, incomplete IP configuration.

Rebooting isn't normally required when adjusting TCP/IP settings in Windows 7 so that's my first clue something is wrong. These are slightly older computers and smell to me like they may have been upgrades from Windows XP or possibly Windows Vista rather than a fresh install of Windows 7. In all other ways, they seem to work fine, but why do they request a reboot and then fail to change the information. I have made sure that the DHCP service is automatically started and running.

Any ideas what might be the issue?

Question Info

Last updated March 13, 2018 Views 916 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hi,

I would suggest you to post this question in the TechNet Windows 7 IT Pro Forums: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/category/w7itpro/

Thanks.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.