Cannot add Windows 7 PC to domain. Get the following message. An attempt to resolve the DNS name of a DC in the domain being joined has failed.

When trying to add a new Windows 7 machine to a network I get the following error message..."An attempt to resolve the DNS name of a DC in the domain being joined has failed. Please verify this client is configured to reach a DNS server that can resolve DNS names in the target domain."  I don't have any problems adding XP machines to the domain and not sure why I can't add a Windows 7 machine.  I am able to get on the internet on the Windows 7 PC but can't add it to the domain.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
|
Answer
Answer
We finally got the computer to join the domain by doing the following:  in the network adapter IP 4 properties, set the DNS ip address to that of the domain controller, NOT the DNS.  Then went back to the computer properties to add the computer to the domain, it was added succesfully.  After rebooting the machine and logging into the domain account, go back to the IP 4 properties and reset the DNS to automatically get the ip address. 

247 people found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated September 7, 2021 Views 240,766 Applies to: