Cannot access \\computer name error code 0x80070035 using 2 Win 7 Professional x64 machines

Driving me crazy!

Computer 1 status: Norton 360 on. Ethernet wired to Linksys router. This computer originally setup homegroup. User name and password same on both machines. Computer 2 can see this machine as expected - sweet!

Computer 2 status: Norton 360 uninstalled. Windows firewall off. Ethernet wired to Linksys router. User name and password same on both machines. This computer cannot be seen by Computer 1 grrrrr!

I have left homegroup on both machines multiple times to no avail. Many reboots. Troubleshooters worthless. I have tried many things posted to this forum and others. My Win 7 machines see my XP machines without a problem. All computers on same workgroup. I can ping Computer 2 from Computer 1 and vice versa.

Earlier this week it was the reverse problem. Computer 2 could not see Computer 1. Even the old-style "advanced sharing" did not work. After 3 days of forums and trying things I reinstalled Win 7 on both computers and everything was fine. Very painful and I'm hesitant to reinstall all my software until this is fixed permanently.

Does anybody have a fix short of reinstalling Win 7?

Any ideas why this keeps happening? I did install a network printer first wireless, then wired, then to USB. I uninstalled all printer software but that didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 22, 2019 Views 102,561 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hi Jack_W,

Since you are able to see and access Computer 2 from Computer 1 and unable to see computer 2 from computer 1. I would suggest you to first check with both the computer if the Network discovery is turned on both the computer.

To turn on network discovery

1.     Open Advanced sharing settings by clicking the Start button, and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type network, click Network and Sharing Center, and then, in the left pane, click Change advanced sharing settings.

2.     Click the chevron to expand the current network profile.

3.     If network discovery is off, under Network discovery, click Turn on network discovery, and then click save changes. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Also you may access the link and follow the steps and check if it helps to see the computer 2.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Why-can-t-I-connect-to-other-computers

Also you may verify if you can access computer 2 from computer 1 by opening with the run command and typing the IP address of computer 2.

To do this, follow the steps in computer 1.

1. Click on Start
  2. In the start search box type \\ipaddress\ of the computer 2 and press enter eg: \\192.168.0.2\

Check if this opens and connects to Computer 2 in the network.

Also you may try to boot both the computer in safe mode with networking and see if they are able to see each other.  To boot to the desktop in safe mode with networking keep tapping F8 key during restart. Once you see the option to boot in safe mode with networking select it and press enter.

Access the link to know more about how to boot the computer in safe mode:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Start-your-computer-in-safe-mode

Hope this helps. Let us know the results.

Thanks and Regards,

Srinivas R Microsoft Support.
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.