Can connect to remote desktop but can't log in

I recently installed Windows 7 Home.  Since then, I have encountered problems with my remote desktop connection.  At times, I can connect and log into the remote computer without any problems.  Other times, I can connect, but the screen freezes and doesn't allow me to log in.  Then, after a short period it will close down.  Our network administrator tells me it is a problem with Windows 7, because he is able to log into my computer remotely from computers with other operating systems at the same time I am unable to log in.  Unfortunately, he is not familiar enough with Windows 7 to know how to fix the problem.  It seems like the problem usually occurs after Windows installs an update.  Typically, within a few days to a week the remote desktop login will start working again for no apparent reason. 

The remote computer is always on and I don't have a problem with internet connections.  I have tried rebooting both my home and remote computer, with no success.  Has anyone else had this problem?  If so, how do I fix it?  I am beginning to get frustrated.

Answer
Answer

Many times outdated graphics drivers cause issues like this. Are you running the latest graphics drivers on the Remote Desktop [RDC] host PC?

Also make sure you select the proper connection type in the RDC connection Experience tab on your Windows 7 RDC client machine.

http://cid-25ab668da65c8fbe.photos.live.com/self.aspx/Windows%20images/RDCExperienceTab.png

MS-MVP Windows Desktop Experience, "When all else fails, read the instructions"
MS-MVP Windows Expert - Consumer
"When all else fails read the instructions"

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
Hi,

1. Did you make any changes to the computer recently?

Method 1.
I recommend you to check if the issue exists in clean startup. May be a third party application is causing these conflicts.
Refer to the article below for steps about how to start your computer in clean boot state.
How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135
Note: When the troubleshooting is over do not forget to reset the computer to normal startup. Follow the step 7 in the above article.

Method 2.
You may disable the antivirus software and check if that is causing this behavior.
Temporarily disable the security software installed on the computer and check if the issue persists.
Disable antivirus software
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Disable-antivirus-software
Important Note: Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you have to temporarily disable it to install other software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

Hope this helps.

Thanks and Regards:
Shekhar S - Microsoft Support.

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.
Thanks and Regards,
Shekhar Sharma

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated July 20, 2022 Views 2,763 Applies to: