BIG Problems with Windows Live Mail

I am running Windows Live Mail under Windows 7 Professional to access my AOL email accounts, which are on an IMAP basis.  I am using a brand new laptop that has a 1TB hard drive and 8GB of RAM, so size and speed are not an issue.  The first annoying problem I have is that every time I close out Mail, I get a message saying it is Purging Folders.  Five seconds later I get a an error message saying the server has disconnected, so the job did not complete.  I then need to close those windows. 

Secondly, when I am replying to messages, it sometimes takes 5 to 10 seconds or more for the wheel to stop spinning.  If there was an attachment to the original email, the message I am sending does not disappear, even after it is sent, which makes me wonder if it has been sent.  It also takes an excessively long time to delete messages.

I have used several other email programs in recent years, including Outlook Express and have never encountered any problems using the same AOL accounts and format.  Are there any setting changes I need to make, or are these problems known glitches between Windows Live Mail and an AOL IMAP account?

Question Info

Last updated September 19, 2018 Views 36,226 Applies to:
Answer

JoeyC2
1. The Softpedia pic showing the 'Shortcut's is at least 6 or 7 versions ago(and was removed from the program at least 5 versions ago) - ignore it
2. The google image search is a mixture of old and a few showing the latest calendar year release(2009, of which there have been 3 upgrades). The latest is WLM 14.8089.0726. To determine if you have the current version on the top menu, click Help/About/Microsoft Windows Live Mail
 - if you don't see the menu, press the Alt key - it acts as toggle.  The menu can be permanently disabled by clicking the square icon to the left of the 'Question mark' in the upper right. Scroll and Select Show Menu.
3. Are you planning on posting in the Windows Live Mail Desktop newsgroup using WLM...If so we can tell your version by the post properties. If you continue to post using the web interface, we can not...thus the earlier suggestions to use the newsgroup posting capability of WLM.  Knowing the version of WLM may make a difference in the problem and the response.
4. Configuration settings for 'purging' messages associated with an IMAP account can be found in WLM on its 'Maintenance' tab
  - Tools/Options/Advanced/Maintenance
 What are your settings for both 'Purge' items (Deleted messages and Newsgroup) ?  Consider unchecking both
5. Other things that you should consider doing(temporarily) in WLM to rule out any automatic handshaking between WLM and AOL IMAP server
   - Uncheck Send and Receive Messages at Startup; Uncheck Check for Messages every x minutes  (Tools/Options/General tab)
   - Uncheck everything on the Connection Tab (Tools/Options/Connections) and Click Stop Signing if the button/option is present.
   - Uncheck 'Use Deleted Items folder on for IMAP accounts (Tools/Options/Advanced) - this option has been know to interfere with 'Purge' for AOL accounts
   - Set the counter to 1(Tools/Options/Advanced/Maintenance tab) - Compact the database on Shutdown.  Ensure you are in Mail mode, then exit by File/Work Offline/File/Exit.  WLM should prompt to compact..agree to it and do not interrupt it. Once done, open WLM, File/Work Online and retest.
6. Disable email scanning in you Antivirus client and any other application(additonal security software, firewall etc it email scanning is being done)
7. If you are connected via cable or a dsl connection configure Internet Explorer(or other browser to Never Dial a connection.
    - If not using IE please specify which browser.

Report any success of failure after doing the above(you can try them all at once, or test each incrementally.

It would be much appreciated if you could report the results in a new post using WLM as your newsreader in the Windows Live Mail Desktop Newsgroup

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.