accessing Windows XP Pro file shares from Windows 7

Folks....There are a lot of questions like mine out on the web and I have read and tried to apply the fixes to no avail.

OK, here is my situation.  I have a new HP Envy 15 laptop with WIndows 7 Pro 64bit and an older office PC with Windows XP Pro 32 bit.  They are networked via a Linksys router (the laptop wireless and the office PC wired directly to the router) using the 192.168.51.* TCPIP addressing scheme.

From the Windows XP box I can access all of the shares on the Windows 7 laptop, no problems.

From the Windows 7 box I can see the Windows XP box and its shares in the File Explorer "Computer" network section.  However when I click on one to access the share or try to map it to a drive letter, I get this message:

Both computers are using Symantec SEP A/V and firewall.

Both comuters have common user ID's & PW's and belong to the same Workgroup. 

"Simple file sharing" on the Windows XP has been turned off.

On the Windows 7 laptop I have:

• network discovery turned ON
  • file and printer sharing turned ON
  • Public folder sharing turned ON
  • password protected sharing turned on, although I have tried it both way without success.

Any help would be appreciated.....RDK

ps....from the Windows 7 laptop I can access shares on other Windows 7 boxes as well as a Windows 2000 Server box....

Question Info

Last updated March 13, 2018 Views 154 Applies to:

I networked a Win7 Home Premium with a WinXP Pro SP3 successfully and can share both ways without any problems. 

The settings I used are recorded in sequence at A step-by-step procedure for creating a two-computer Ethernet cable network between Windows 7 & Windows XP with ICS

You will not be interested in any of the IP addressing as your router will have done that for you.

You will probably find it unduly laborious as it was written to guide a user who had little knowledge of networking.  However, I can say that not a single step has been left out [if that is any consolation].

- - - - - -

In addition, I have just this minute set the network up to share the WinXP's DVD drive.  I have therefore not had enough time to do anything other than a single initial test but it seems to be fine. 

After setting the normal sharing permission on the WinXP's DVD drive in Windows explorer, I went into its Registry to set:-

HKEY_LOCAL MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

String  allocatecdroms to value 0 [it was previously at value 1]

I then had to reboot for the setting to take effect.

- - - - - -

I'll keep an eye on your thread in case you have any questions.

Try*3 - a user
Dell Inspirons 7779, 1545, 9300; Windows 10 Home x64 & Pro x86; Office Pro 2007; HP DJ2540; HTC UPlay [Android 6.0], MyPhoneExplorer

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for the reply and the links to all of your documentation.  However, I'm still a no go for accessing XP shares from my Windows 7 laptop.  I have reviewed your procedure and as far as I can tell I have covered ALL of the items.

My analysis is that it has to be security related on the Windows XP computer as:

• the XP computer can see and access all of the shares on the Windows 7 laptop
  • the Windows 7 laptop can see ("Network Neighborhood") the Windows XP computer and all of its shares

so it would appear that the network settings are correct and ports are open to allow communication back and forth.

Both machines are using Symantec SEP for AV and firewall. The firewalls are allowing all traffic on the 192.168. subnets.

Both machines have a common Admin ID and password.

Both computers are using Symantec SEP A/V and firewall.

However, when I click on a XP share or try to map a drive to an XP share I get the " error message.

Windows cannot access \\machine\folder
You do not have permission to access \\machine\folder. Contact your network administrator to request access.

I'm stumped....RDK

Sorry this didn't help.

The only time I have seen that error message is when I tried to access the WinXP's DVD drive from the Win7 [hence the additional step I wrote about above].

I appreciate that you will have already tried turning off the Symantec Firewalls as an experiment so I will not suggest that.

I do recall seeing warnings about accidentally running the XP sharing wizard more than once.  Might that have been done?  The solution was apparently to delete then reinstall TCP/IP in the network adapter properties.

I did not turn off Simple file sharing on the XP Pro [I did not envisage needing to for its limited intended purpose].  I don't think this would cause the symptoms you are seeing anyway because the deliberate sharing of your selected folders should set everything up correctly for you anyway.  This might be worth your trying as an experiment but I would not expect much joy from trying it & you'd have to set the manual shares up again I would think.  [But I should review this as I am using the XP more & more these days while I'm online on the Win7 & hence the XP is online]

Other than resetting the TCP/IP, I am also stumped. 

Try*3 - a user
Dell Inspirons 7779, 1545, 9300; Windows 10 Home x64 & Pro x86; Office Pro 2007; HP DJ2540; HTC UPlay [Android 6.0], MyPhoneExplorer

Sorry this didn't help.