Connecting a Windows 7 starter edition laptop to a Windows XP network for file and printer sharing?

I have a new netbook running Windows 7 Starter edition and I want to use file sharing and printer sharing with my exisiting Windows XP network.  I have turned on file and printer sharing on my XP desktop.  The Win 7 netbook connects to the Internet via my wireless router.  The XP desktop is connected to the wireless router.  The printer is connecte3d to the XP desktop.  Why am I unable to connect the Win 7 to the XP network?  How do I do it?  - Thank you!  Phil

Question Info

Last updated May 14, 2018 Views 10,366 Applies to:
Answer
Thank you for responding Meghmala.  

I was able to use file sharing from my new Windows 7 netbook to my existing XP desktop.  I really appreciate it.  It was an XP desktop firewall issue.  I had to configure the firewall for file sharing. 

I still do have a strange printing problem: 

The XP desktop is connected to the wireless router.  The printer is connected to the XP desktop and prints locally from the desktop.  When I look at the network, I can see the XP desktop and the printer from the Windows 7 netbook.  I am unable to print from the netbook.  When I run troubleshooting it gets an error and says it cannot fix the problem.  The printer is set as the default printer.  I have installed the printer driver.  I have printer sharing allowed on all devices.  When I print from any application on the Windows 7 netbook, NOTHING at all happens.  There is no printer icon in the system tray.  Nothing appears when I open the printer.  There is no document pending.  There is no error balloon.

I am thinking that I may have uninstalled something required for Windows 7 to print.  Is there any way that I can repair Windows 7 Starter addition without losing everything I installed? 

If that is not the problem, can there be some configuration setting that would prevent ANY form of printing?  Should I use LPT(something) or some other drivers?  I went through a lot of exploring and learning Windows 7 and I have tailored the netbook to the way I like it.  It would be painfull for me to try to bring the netbook back to factory settings.  I have installed software that I need.

I hope you can give me some options and things to think about to solve this printing issue.

Thanks again,
Phil

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.