Question

Q: The device or resource (PC name) is not set up to accept connections on port "The File and printer sharing (SMB)".

Hello there,

Long enough i have sufferd with this problem, hopefully this will be the place that is able to solve it :D

A while ago, when i installed Windows 7, the file sharing feature just worked fine. thought since a month, maybe 2 its not working at all.

I have 2 PC's. One laptop with windows XP 64-bit, one main PC with windows 7 64-bit (Windows 7 Ultimate N Build 7600)

The Problem:
I have file sharing turned on, thought i cannot acces the Desktop PC from my laptop. (not by name nor IP address). On the desktop PC itself, i cannot look into the shared files (which are on the same PC!). The ironical part of this is that is does show what files are shared (and this updates correctly) thought it wont show the content. Also the Desktop PC cannot see any other PC on the network, thought they all have the same workgroup. The laptop is able to see and access other windows XP PC's who are in the same network, but NOT the Deskto (windows 7) PC.

Some Tests I did:
#1 From my laptop I can ping to my Desktop.
#2 From my Desktop I can ping to my Laptop.
#3 I uninstalled Northon Ghost (even with the removal tool), no changes.
#4 I turned off Eset NOD32, Windows Firewall and Windows Defender, no changes.
#5 I uninstalled the drivers of my network card and reinstalled them, no changes.
#6 I checked if the serveces started that might have something to do with this:
--> "Computer Browsing" -> Started
--> "SSDP Discovery" -> Started
--> "TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper" -> Started
--> "Server" -> Started
#7 When I turn ON network discovery, it will automatically go back to "Off". (i used to be able, when all worked, to turn this on!)
#8 Set PC back to a restore point 20 days ago (this unfortunatly was the earliest i could find, thought even on that date i had problems...)

Change sharing options for different network profiles is configured as following:
Home & Work (current Profile)
Turn OFF network discovery (!!! I cant turn this ON !!!)
Turn ON file and printer sharing
Turn ON sharing so anyone with network access can read and write....
Media streaming is OFF (Also with "ON", no changes)
Use 128-bit encryption to help.... (Also with "40- or 56-bit", no changes...
Allow windows to manage homegroup connections

Errors:
#1 When I open Network, it shows my desktop PC only in the list. (I used to have all the PC's in the list)
#2 When I click my desktop PC's name, it shows which folders are shared: "some folder" & "Users" are shared.
#3 When I click eighter of these folders i get the notification: "Windows cannot access \\JEFFREY\Users"
#4 When I click "Diagnose" it shows: "The remote device or resource won't accept the connection" and "The device or resource (JEFFREY) is not set up to accept connections on port "The File and printer sharing (SMB)"."

Solution:
The problem is caused by a corrupted file.
The DNS client and the DHCP client rely on 3 processes in windows 7: "NSI, Tdx and Afd" (can be found in the registry, see 2nd post of mine for location). If the DHCP client wont start, it might be, because of one of these files. By entering the command: "Net start NSI"  (and tdx, and adf) you can find out if they work or not. In my case the TDX process wouldn't start.
Using
Shinmila H. 2nd post, you can find out if the file is corrupted, and replace them with a non corrupted one. In my case the TDX.sys file was totally empty, and following the tutorial of Shinmila H. 2nd post link, i was able to replace the file, with a file of my friend. (i couldn't find it on the installation DVD).
Once the file has been replaced, the service would start normally again. (manually, or automatically on restart)

Who knows what i have to do, to make windows sharing possible again, between a windows 7 and a windows XP PC.

Thank you for the help,

Jeffrey

Answer

A:

Hey Jeffrey,

Sounds like the issue is due to the fact that “Network Discovery” is turned off. Since your network location type is set to Private (Home or Work), then Network Discovery will be turned on by default.

Verify if these services are started.

1.     DHCP Client

2.     DNS Client

3.     Network Connections

4.     Network Location Awareness

5.     Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

6.     Server

7.     TCP/IP Netbios helper

8.     Workstation

9.     Function Discovery Resource Publication,

10.  UPnP Device Host services

All of these services should be started, and their startup type should be automatic.

Also ensure that Windows Firewall exception for network discovery is enabled.

For details on Windows Firewall settings, refer:

Understanding Windows Firewall settings

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Understanding-Windows-Firewall-settings

Allow a program to communicate through Windows Firewall

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Allow-a-program-to-communicate-through-Windows-Firewall

For additional help, see:

Why can’t I connect to a network?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Why-can-t-I-connect-to-a-network

Regards,

Shinmila H - Microsoft Support

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

21 people were helped by this reply

Answer

A:

Hey JBtje,

I appreciate the efforts done on your part.

tdx.sys driver is required for DHCP to run. Since its missing from its location, this could be one of the reasons behind all these issues.

To repair and restore this system file, run System File Checker scan on your computer.

How to use the System File Checker tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files on Windows Vista or on Windows 7

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

The scan should replace the missing file. Once SFC scan completes, run the net start command to start tdx and see if there’s any go.

Regards,

Shinmila H - Microsoft Support

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 47,532 Last updated: June 14, 2018 Applies to: