Question

Q: IP address changes on router reboot

Running Windows 7 cabled to wireless router. Occassionally Broadband "drops out" and when rebooting router IP address for Wireless printer (EPSON Stylus Office TX610FW) changes form 10.1.1.2   to 10.1.1.something depending on how many laptops are connected. As a result I have to go into Control Panel, HArdware & Sound Select the printer then via 'Settings' delect the printer and add it manually with new IP address. Obviously irritating as other family members, despite printed instrustions, cannot manage it.

Please, is there anyway to 'lock' the IP adsdress so it doesn't change?

Answer

A:

Set this printer to have a fixed IP address in the correct range.  Just because your router supports DHCP doesn't mean you have to use it, you should be able to remove the printer's IP address from the DHCP range the router will supply or tell the router to accept this particular fixed IP address.

Hal
--
Hal Hostetler, CPBE
Senior Engineer/MIS -- MS MVP-Print/Imaging -- WA7BGX
www.kvoa.com -- KVOA Television, Tucson, AZ.
Live at Hot Licks -www.badnewsbluesband.com

Hal Hostetler, CPBE
Broadcast Engineer/IT Pro
MVP-Outlook - WA7BGX
www.rolandschorr.com

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Answer

A:

To add to Hal's comments many consumer grade routers allow you to reserve a specific DHCP assigned IP address to a device by its MAC address. Check the user manual for your router if you want to go that route. FWIW I do what Hal suggests for my wireless HP Officejet J4680 AiO device, ie. use a static IP address that is outside the range of DHCP assigned IP addresses.
MS-MVP Windows Desktop Experience, "When all else fails, read the instructions"
MS-MVP Windows Expert - Consumer
"When all else fails read the instructions"

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 1,359 Last updated: March 13, 2018 Applies to: